Best Hybrid boat for Scuba / General Family fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDad1968

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a boat around 20' - 23' that would be good for taking the family out for just recreational fun (ie Tubing, cruising)
But would also have enough deck room to use for SCUBA with one or two other buddies.
I would prefer a cuddy over a center console. Plus the dead rise should not be too shallow since I liver here in Michigan and the water could get pretty choppy. I'm thinking around 21 degrees.

Any Ideas?

Get a dual console type boat with a self bailing cockpit and sealed liner with outboard power in that size range. If it has carpet all over it and boom boxes on a faux radar arch, it is not likely an offshore boat.

N

Grady-White Boats : Freedom 205 - 20' Dual Console

Boston Whaler | Vantage Boats | Vantage Boat | Pilothouse Boats | Wakeboarding Boats

Fishing & Ski Boat - 205CX Crossover Dual Console EdgeWater

Three typical dual console boats. These may look like the more common bow rider but they are not the same at all. Self bailing, sealed hulls, very little carpet and cheap plywood slathered all over. Outboard power, full flotation, unsinkable construction in some models. Many similar boats. They are called dual consoles or sometimes cross overs.

N

Personally, I would be looking at a Pontoon boat. They make them I/O and O/B, plenty of room and fast enough to pull skiers. I had a 24ft triple log pontoon with a 150 Evinrude, 4 diver all there gear and still had plenty of room. Portable Toilet, Fridge, Fresh water storage.

Personally, I would be looking at a Pontoon boat. They make them I/O and O/B, plenty of room and fast enough to pull skiers. I had a 24ft triple log pontoon with a 150 Evinrude, 4 diver all there gear and still had plenty of room. Portable Toilet, Fridge, Fresh water storage.

Pontoon boats are a great scuba platform.......for flat water.

If the OP is thinking of a Lake Michigan, its not a good idea.

Lake Michigan? He mentioned he wanted 21 degrees of dead rise. A pontoon boat is about as seaworthy as a lead brick and that is being kind. On Table Rock Lake, yeah, go for it.

N

If I were looking for such a beast, it would be a center console world cat or similar.

A zodiac is a ridiculous suggestion. It is uncomfortable, has no little of no storage and the larger ones are very expensive.

Small Whalers are a great "kids boat" Mom and Dad will find them a little spartan. The larger, more comfortable Whalers are way overpriced.

A pontoon boat..... that's okay if you are never planning to depart the marina

I'd think twice about a cuddy. In the 21-23 ft. boat, a cuddy takes away about half of your deck space. It's too small to "camp". You will find you will use it for a closet.

A 25 world cat is a great boat, but you will have the added expense of twin engines. (as with any cat hull)

There are seemingly a million center consoles out there. Probably for a reason.... they are great multipurpose boats. If you are budget minded take a look at the 23 Key West to give you some ideas.

Of course this is a trick question. If the op is looking for this information here, then he is clearly not nearly ready to purchase a boat. That is no joke. If you are going to do it right, you have a lot of work ahead of you. Keep asking questions, go to boat shows. See what is out there and look at the options that suit you. Takes lots of notes. It's a big financial miscue if you don't do it right.
Good Luck!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom