Best scooter ever made

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roastbeef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'VE HAD THEM ALL AND DOVE THEM ALL, AND TO THIS DAY STILL THE FASTEST AND MOST POWERFULL RECREATIONAL SCOOTER EVER MADE WAS THE ORIGINAL FARALLON VARIABLE SPEED MK 6. A 4 HOUR BURN TIME AND 70 LBS OF THRUST WITH A 3.8 MILE RANGE AN AWSOME MACHINES IF YOU CAN FIND ONE. THIS IS A RIDE ON TOP DPV NOT A TOW BEHIND WHICH MOST TECK DIVERS SEEMS TO PREFURE THESE DAYS. :lotsalove:

I have never dove with a Farallon. My experience has been with a SeaDoo (average at best) and an X scooter. My feeling (with limited experience) is that the X Scooter's Cuda is the fastest and greatest scooter on the market. FDog has written several threads on the subject and participated in tests measuring different aspects of scooters. He seems to be the SB expert on the matter. While it is a tow behind scooter, dollar for dollar,the Cuda seems to be the best thing on the market hands down.

I'VE HAD THEM ALL AND DOVE THEM ALL, AND TO THIS DAY STILL THE FASTEST AND MOST POWERFULL RECREATIONAL SCOOTER EVER MADE WAS THE ORIGINAL FARALLON VARIABLE SPEED MK 6. A 4 HOUR BURN TIME AND 70 LBS OF THRUST WITH A 3.8 MILE RANGE AN AWSOME MACHINES IF YOU CAN FIND ONE. THIS IS A RIDE ON TOP DPV NOT A TOW BEHIND WHICH MOST TECK DIVERS SEEMS TO PREFURE THESE DAYS. :lotsalove:

I, too, have considerable experience with the Farallon Mk 5 & 6, along with most DPV's made. I believe your enthusiasim may be misplaced.

However, I prefer hard, cold numbers from in-the-water testing. As with other manufacturers, Farallon USA (ironically, a Canadian company) will be invited to the Tahoe Benchmark 2009.

All the best, James

I noticed you did not offer testing on any variable speed Mk 6 or 8 ride on top Farallons in your testing as all your scooters were tow behinds, I think Just the 70 pound thrust spec on the MK 6 says it all. As for Farallon it was a US owned company than purchased and moved to Ottawa Canada were Phil of Farallon Canada designed the DiveRite Arrow for Diverite and at this present time the company focuses mainly on building the aproved MK 8's for the US navy. I think maybe you should ask the navy for copy of there scooter review.

I noticed you did not offer testing on any variable speed Mk 6 or 8 ride on top Farallons in your testing as all your scooters were tow behinds, I think Just the 70 pound thrust spec on the MK 6 says it all.

How is a 125 lbs scooter (MK8), max speed ~3 mph, range 3 miles superior to a Dive X Cuda that offers ~5 miles of range, a similar max speed in a 50 lbs package?

Tobin

The "baddest" scooter is the Russian Protei-5 (and likely the newer Proton).
protei-5_russian_diver-rider.gif

I have two Mk-6s, I really like them, I suspect that are faster than any of the modern tow along types, but they are quite heavy and no where near as controllable or maneuverable.

Someday I'll find a way to do this with my two, that'll be really cool:
farallon_twin.JPG

img%5D

The Dive X and Hollis sister scooter have addapted the technology simular to Farallons. Farallon was the first in the game to use variable electronic pwm speed control boards to conserve energy and increase distance with new battery technology. I've noticed how close the X scooters drive shaft design looks identical to the Farallons. Two Mk 8 slung together is an awsome ride.

The Farallons are an old-design. They were awesome during the 70's (during the R. Shamlian years), but far eclipsed by current technology & models. As per their manufacturing end...I just wonder how much the Navy really needs their stuff?

FYI - The Dive-rite DPV was discontinued a short time after it was introduced. The tow-behind idea was a nod to Gavins, Mako's in a black, bullet-nosed design that few wanted.

X

ps. Tane Casserly of NOAA made a nice sled using two MK 8's for a terrific photo mosaic of some wrecks in Fla. You can find info here: http://floridakeys.noaa.gov/edu/soundingline/photomosaic.pdf

Last edited:
I noticed you did not offer testing on any variable speed Mk 6 or 8 ride on top Farallons in your testing as all your scooters were tow behinds, <snip>

Farallon wasn't invited to the 2008 Tahoe Benchmark because we were under the impression you were out of business. We would be very excited to have your participation this summer at the 2009 event!

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom