Looking to Buy DPV for Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tphelps

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Aloha all,

I've been a good boy this year so hopefully santa leaves me a new DPV under the Christmas tree this year!! :D

Trying to do some research on DPVs that I can use for tec diving. I am a college student and will be paying for most of this on my own so something that has the best value. The kind of style I am looking for is like the Hollis H-160. Hollis Gear: H-160

I would love to hear any recommendations and considerations from you experienced "scooter-ers" out there! If you are in the market to sell your DPV, please send me a private message with more information.

Thanks for reading! Happy safe diving!

-Tyler

When I was at DEMA, I spent some time chatting with Ben McGeever of Dive X-tras. I will quote him: "I'm beginning to think that I shouldn't have made our scooters so durable. It doesn't help the bottom line when the scooters outlive a tank!"

I know a lot of people with those scooters (including me and my husband) and they're pretty bombproof.

You really can't beat Silent Submersion for durability or customer service. I've known one guy to buy a Hollis. It was expensive and broke a lot. I would definitely steer clear of that one. I have 4 friends that have Genesis scooters, 2 of them have been sent back for repairs more than once.

I'm diving a Minnus 1.5. It's a few years old. It's never had a hiccup. Knocking on wood.

You really can't beat Silent Submersion for durability or customer service. I've known one guy to buy a Hollis. It was expensive and broke a lot. I would definitely steer clear of that one. I have 4 friends that have Genesis scooters, 2 of them have been sent back for repairs more than once.

I'm diving a Minnus 1.5. It's a few years old. It's never had a hiccup. Knocking on wood.

Nice, Peter. There's nothing like providing a little bit of truth. The only two Genesis repairs from Florida have been JT's battery that was lightly monkeyed with by someone he loaned it to, that thought he knew a thing or two about batteries and caused it to go into shutdown mode. It was sent back, unlocked and worked fine, but needed the BMS changed later when he loaned it to another friend and it shutdown again. The second was the tube from my heavily used demo scooter at Amigo's that had to come back with JT's battery the second time after it stopped working when his friend tried to use it for troubleshooting. It worked great until it was taken apart by JT's buddy and ended up just needing a connector cleaned up. (There's something about JT's friends since the scooter always works well for him :)).

Just wanted to clear that up, but a Genesis is likely out the OPs price range anyway.

We do have a commercial diving company in Hawaii that is replacing their two 6-8 month old SS UV-18s with a couple Genesis 600s after experiencing the difference. They might be looking to sell off one of those if you don't mind a 70lb scooter.

Cheers,
Jon

Aloha all,

I've been a good boy this year so hopefully santa leaves me a new DPV under the Christmas tree this year!! :D

Trying to do some research on DPVs that I can use for tec diving. I am a college student and will be paying for most of this on my own so something that has the best value. The kind of style I am looking for is like the Hollis H-160. Hollis Gear: H-160

I would love to hear any recommendations and considerations from you experienced "scooter-ers" out there! If you are in the market to sell your DPV, please send me a private message with more information.

Thanks for reading! Happy safe diving!

-Tyler

One of my bubble-free dive buddies here on Oahu drives a Genesis 600 and another one of them has a Magnus I've taken out once for a spin around the Sea Tiger. Between the two, I picked the Genesis and you're welcome to give it a try if you're on Oahu. Ability to charge without opening the unit, true throttle, no shaft seals, and ability to resolve prop entanglements in the water is just too good to pass up -- not to mention the impressive thrust and cruise range figures from TBM.

OTOH, the Magnus was fun to drive and its owner has it up for sale -- so he can buy a newer, bigger Magnus.

Nice, Peter. There's nothing like providing a little bit of truth. The only two Genesis repairs from Florida have been JT's battery that was lightly monkeyed with by someone he loaned it to, that thought he knew a thing or two about batteries and caused it to go into shutdown mode. It was sent back, unlocked and worked fine, but needed the BMS changed later when he loaned it to another friend and it shutdown again. The second was the tube from my heavily used demo scooter at Amigo's that had to come back with JT's battery the second time after it stopped working when his friend tried to use it for troubleshooting. It worked great until it was taken apart by JT's buddy and ended up just needing a connector cleaned up. (There's something about JT's friends since the scooter always works well for him :)).

Just wanted to clear that up, but a Genesis is likely out the OPs price range anyway.

We do have a commercial diving company in Hawaii that is replacing their two 6-8 month old SS UV-18s with a couple Genesis 600s after experiencing the difference. They might be looking to sell off one of those if you don't mind a 70lb scooter.

Cheers,
Jon

Actually, you're not being truthful. As I was there when this transpired... each time.
Amigo's scooter was not working when it arrived, prior to any trouble shooting. As I recall, it was a faulty wire. It was shipped all the way back to you, then all the back to Florida. I was in the house when this was diagnosed.
I don't remember the exact issue with JT's scooter, but I do know that it's been broke more than once. You claim it was someone hosing around with it. All I know is that even after the second time JT got it back, it cost him a dive when it wouldn't charge up.

Say whatever you want, my simple minnus just works. That's all there is to it. They've been around a long time, and their customer service is great. And for me at least, they're local. Right here in FL, so if there ever is a problem, I can drive it to them.

---------- Post added November 15th, 2013 at 07:58 PM ----------

One of my bubble-free dive buddies here on Oahu drives a Genesis 600 and another one of them has a Magnus I've taken out once for a spin around the Sea Tiger. Between the two, I picked the Genesis and you're welcome to give it a try if you're on Oahu. Ability to charge without opening the unit, true throttle, no shaft seals, and ability to resolve prop entanglements in the water is just too good to pass up -- not to mention the impressive thrust and cruise range figures from TBM.

OTOH, the Magnus was fun to drive and its owner has it up for sale -- so he can buy a newer, bigger Magnus.

The innovations in the genesis are awesome, and long overdue. But, so were the innovations in the 1997 Chevy Corvette. It was a giant leap from the C4 Vette. It was also the biggest mess, full of issues, that didn't get completely resolved for quite some time. Never buy the first of anything.

Ultimately, I'd be willing to buy a Genesis solely because of Jon's innovation. But I will wait until Jon has the proven track record for stability, durability and reliability (like SS) to match those innovations.

---------- Post added November 15th, 2013 at 08:00 PM ----------

Don't take it personal. This board is about asking for opinions. I gave my opinion, based on how I would spend my money, and why. Give me a 5 year warranty on your scooter, and I'll sell mine tomorrow. Until then, I simply can't afford the risk on a $6000 item from a guy who is new to the market.

The innovations in the genesis are awesome, and long overdue. But, so were the innovations in the 1997 Chevy Corvette. It was a giant leap from the C4 Vette. It was also the biggest mess, full of issues, that didn't get completely resolved for quite some time. Never buy the first of anything.

Ultimately, I'd be willing to buy a Genesis solely because of Jon's innovation. But I will wait until Jon has the proven track record for stability, durability and reliability (like SS) to match those innovations.

---------- Post added November 15th, 2013 at 08:00 PM ----------

Don't take it personal. This board is about asking for opinions. I gave my opinion, based on how I would spend my money, and why. Give me a 5 year warranty on your scooter, and I'll sell mine tomorrow. Until then, I simply can't afford the risk on a $6000 item from a guy who is new to the market.

Normally I'd agree with you about not buying the first of anything, but the Genesis scooters have been out long enough and are so superior in terms of innovations that I just couldn't bring myself to spend basically the same money for a Cuda Fury or a Magnus. And I prefer the buy once, cry once approach over buying something good but not great, only to sell it at 50-60% of what I paid in order to buy something better later.

The Genesis warranty does seem to be a bit short (30 days on the batteries, 1 year on the scooter), but everything I've read and what I've heard from those I know who have owned Genesis scooters is that I can expect good customer service. If that turns out not to be the case...well, a review of my postings here should make it clear I have no problems calling companies out for poor quality products and/or poor customer support. Hopefully Logic Dive Gear will look to Atomic, Light Monkey (battery squabbles aside), and Shearwater in terms of how they should try to approach support issues.

Dr. Lecter:

I've heard nothing but praises about Jon's customer service. On the two issues I know about, I believe he paid shipping both ways and had the scooter issues resolved at zero cost to the owners.

I agree, I don't like to buy twice either. Confidence should build and one day maybe I'll have one.

Mine should get here in a couple weeks, and I look forward to reporting back on it.

I just started your battery test, Doc, so I have a few minutes to post...

The Genesis warranty does seem to be a bit short (30 days on the batteries, 1 year on the scooter)...

Something Peter didn't mention was that JT's scooter was also well out of warranty when it was taken care of. The scooter at Amigos is actually one of our pre-production units that was used at the Tahoe test. It's been shipped back and forth cross country for demos probably a dozen times, was flooded once in New Jersey when someone loosened the recharge connector and has been used as a demo and rental scooter for the last 5-6 months, being dove 3-5 days a weeks according to Wayne, not to mention being disassembled and reassembled hundreds of times for show and tell, so having to clean and re-solder an electrical connector after all that is not shocking.

The current warranty is really aimed at commercial users and rentals which see a lot more abuse/neglect. I may have to differentiate the warranty for recreational vs commercial users if people really think that a warranty is a selling feature. For us, it is easier to surprise someone by taking care of them even though it may be out of warranty, than to have a long warranty and then not honor it when someone clearly abuses their equipment.

Now in an attempt to get this thread back on topic...

The OP is looking for a DPV that a college student can reasonably afford. I'd just caution you to inspect any used scooters you are looking at carefully. Most of the scooters you'll likely be looking at use a stainless motor shaft and shaft seal with an aluminum carrier or tail cone. You don't want the disappointment of picking one up on eBay with good pictures of a nice dry and clean insides, only to find out that it has been sitting for a year after being put away wet from a salt water dive and the motor shaft or entire tail needs to be replaced due to corrosion. And yes, some stainless steel can corrode quite badly.

Cheers,
Jon

Back
Top Bottom