Newbie DPV user questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roimi99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
First of all...do you need a license, or just training? Also, what would be a good (affordable) DPV to get. Thanks so much!

You don't need a license or even a certification card. You should have training, though.

As to your last question, there's a huge gulf between "good" and "affordable" (unless, of course, you're wealthy).

As such a new diver, my instinct would be to ask you to wait a while before buying a scooter. They're expensive, heavy, and can become dangerous. You need some experience to use it right and to do so safely.

Having said that, if you can't be convinced otherwise, you need to set a budget and set some goals. There's a chance that budget will allow that scooter to accomplish those goals.

Some cheaper scooters you can find used are Teknas and Oceanic Makos. Those seem to do pretty well. Older Gavin scooters can be had pretty cheaply second-hand. I highly recommend against the SeaDoo-type "toy" scooters as they're far from worth the box they come in (in my opinion). If your budget is a bit higher, Dive Xtras Sierra Standards can be had for like $2600 factory refurbished. You can also get used UV-18s and UV-26s for about $2k. They're HEAVY, though, so beware.

Good, new scooters start at about $4k and move on up to over $18,000.

I would say that unless you can reach for a nice Sierra or better, don't waste your money. There are probably some Tekna/Mako devotees who would vehemently disagree. I'm personally sold on the pros of the extremely expensive Genesis scooters from Logic Dive Gear.

That being said, I agree that early in your diving career is not the time to get a DPV. Learn to dive well within kicking range first; learn just what a cast-iron bitch a long swim, whether at the surface or down below, can be. Only then can you truly appreciate just how much trouble a DPV can get you in, when it lets you zip a couple miles away from where you have to exit and then decides to flood its shaft seals on you.

My personal experience is that DPVs also have the potential to make open water divers (as in those who don't have to worry about the constraints of wrecks and/or caves, not those who are only certed for OW) lazy about buoyancy and trim skills. That's bad regardless, but even worse when you haven't built those skills in the first place.

First and foremost get some dives in under your belt and second You need to be self reliant in your diving!

I dive with 2 dive buddies that also scooter and we have a blast....... but you can separate in a blink of an eye. I have lost my wife a couple times when she saw a pretty fish and decided to stop with out signalling me and it makes for some scary moments in bad vis, back tracking while looking for her. Good dive lights are a must with scooters, imho. You may not see your dive buddy if you get a good distance apart but you will see his light if you get separated and it is honestly one of the greatest feelings, seeing that light. Especially when it's your ditzy blond dive buddy.:D

---------- Post added August 14th, 2014 at 04:31 PM ----------

Lots of good info here OP.

Good, new scooters start at about $4k and move on up to over $18,000.

Who is making a $18k underwater rocket? I've seen 12k but not anything that expensive.

And I thought the Genesis 1200 was expensive!!:wink:

First and foremost get some dives in under your belt and second You need to be self reliant in your diving!

I dive with 2 dive buddies that also scooter and we have a blast....... but you can separate in a blink of an eye. I have lost my wife a couple times when she saw a pretty fish and decided to stop with out signalling me and it makes for some scary moments in bad vis, back tracking while looking for her. Good dive lights are a must with scooters, imho. You may not see your dive buddy if you get a good distance apart but you will see his light if you get separated and it is honestly one of the greatest feelings, seeing that light. Especially when it's your ditzy blond dive buddy.:D

---------- Post added August 14th, 2014 at 04:31 PM ----------

Lots of good info here OP.

Who is making a $18k underwater rocket? I've seen 12k but not anything that expensive.

And I thought the Genesis 1200 was expensive!!:wink:

You're right, my bad. $12,000. For some reason I thought there was a Genesis 1800 military version or something that was like $18000 and put the Magnus 2X to shame.

Still, quite the price range from under $600 for some Teknas.

There's the 1500 for civvies and SW for snake eaters, but they top out at $8500 and $11k respectively. The nice thing is that you can have one tail cone and multiple nose/battery sizes and effectively have the whole range from 600-1500. Though most of the price seems to be tied up in the batteries. When you can get a 1500 for less than $9k, I have no idea why anyone would buy a Magnus 2X...but that's why I drive a 600 instead of a Magnus :)

Dr. Lechter is right. Let me add that all the problems with trim and buoyancy are magnified many-fold when you're talking about drysuit diving in cold water.

Another one agreeing with learning buoyancy in a drysuit very well before throwing a scooter into the mix. The scooter "hides" buoyancy changes. You have to learn to vent without feeling a need to.

Diving a scooter in cold water is definitely drysuit territory as you are not kicking to keep yourself warm.

A real scooter also requires a crotch strap to connect too, and paddle fins are superior for steering. So think backplate and wind, with heavy fins. Diving a hogarthian rig works great for scootering. Long hose keeps you streamlined and able to donate will being towed or towing.

Money for now might be better spent on a top notch class from GUE like Fundies, or UTD's Essentials. This will turn you into a far better diver before you learn bad traits.

I have a heavily modified Mako, and it works great. For under $1,000 it can't be beat. Otherwise I would buy a Genisis 600 too, but Oren is going to give me his to babysit while he can't dive right? LOL

Back
Top Bottom