Finally ordered a DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well after delaying for years and almost buting several used scooters - I placed the order for a new scooter last week. My useage is a little different than many on here. In NJ, a DPV is used to:

1) get down the granny and anchor line in a current
2) help make tying in and moving the shot line/anchor line easier
3) cover a greater area of a shipwreck on a single dive
4) digging

Real long capable run times are not as necessary as those of you doing deep cave penetration, but still important. I did want a DPV with:

1) Strong local presence
2) Strong Service and support reputation
3) Easily replaced parts
4) Lithium battery chemistry
5) Proven trackrecord

After considering everything I felt that the best bang for the buck was the Silent Submerge Viper Life. Should have it in a few weeks and I will report back but I am excited and cant wait to start paying with it!!

Well after delaying for years and almost buting several used scooters - I placed the order for a new scooter last week. My useage is a little different than many on here. In NJ, a DPV is used to:

1) get down the granny and anchor line in a current
2) help make tying in and moving the shot line/anchor line easier
3) cover a greater area of a shipwreck on a single dive
4) digging

Real long capable run times are not as necessary as those of you doing deep cave penetration, but still important. I did want a DPV with:

1) Strong local presence
2) Strong Service and support reputation
3) Easily replaced parts
4) Lithium battery chemistry
5) Proven trackrecord

After considering everything I felt that the best bang for the buck was the Silent Submerge Viper Life. Should have it in a few weeks and I will report back but I am excited and cant wait to start paying with it!!

Was it expensive? For some reason I get the feeling you have issues with the cost of it... paying too much??

I dont have issues paying to much but Im trying to stop throwing money into scuba gear, boat gear......etc - so I have to justify the cost (to myself) to make myself feel better!!!!!!

In general they are expensive. 4500 is a lot, but I thought about it for a couple years before pulling the trigger. I did a 230 ft dive last year and as I pulled my way down the line against a nasty current and my crew went flying by me with their scooters without struggling and fighting their way down, I decided I wasnt waiting any longer and I was ordering on this winter.....

You're not seeing your typo... LOL....

I will report back but I am excited and cant wait to start paying with it!!

Why the Viper Life over the Viper LiPo? I think I've determined that the LiPo's performance bump is worth the price bump for my purposes, but I'd be using it strictly in Caves, so that might be a big difference....I want all the range I can get.

Why the Viper Life over the Viper LiPo? .

victorzamora,
Please excuse the ignorance,
I am just beginning the process of sourcing a lithium battery replacement for my UV26/18 scooters and really don't know much about the different types of lithium batteries at the moment. Can you comment on your reasoning for choosing one lithium type over another, what makes one chemistry preferable to another?
In general terms taking energy, safety and longevity into account, what would you believe to be the most suitable type for these DPV applications?

* I do not plan to build a battery, I am sourcing manufactured batteries (drop in).
** I do know about SS and the OEM battery they offer, I am not looking to buy one, hence my questions above.

Any positive comments from anyone would be greatly appreciated. ( I see enough "your gonna die !" posts to last me a while) :D

Thanks,

(OP, sorry for the off topic question)

Life battery = alot longer lifespan but not as much run time per charge as a LiPo battery. For a UV SS the 40 a/h Life battery is hard to beat. It runs a long ways and should have a longer useful life. I converted my N-37 over to a UV 18 Life 40 a/h Viper and have really been pleased with it.

I chose Life because it is a more stable Lithium battery. Less concern over fire/explosion. Ive seen it happen in larger batteries from a product I used to sell that had large LIPO batteries and it isnt pretty.

The odds of it happening with todays charging protocol is SLIM, but still.

Also - Life has a better overall cycle life, meaning it should last longer than Lipo.

Lipo was more expensive and had a better run time - but I felt Life was the best bet for me. I dont need 4 hours run time.

Plus - a few friends have the LiFe and Rodney recommended it...so....thats the way I went.

I didnt want the maintenance headache of the nickel metal Hydride and SLA is cheap, but not as dense and no where near the power or run time.

If the LiPo and PiFe were the same price, I would have probably went LiPo but with the cost savings, better cycle life, safety factor and more than adequate run time - I went LiFe.

I chose Life because it is a more stable Lithium battery. Less concern over fire/explosion. Ive seen it happen in larger batteries from a product I used to sell that had large LIPO batteries and it isnt pretty.

The odds of it happening with todays charging protocol is SLIM, but still.

Also - Life has a better overall cycle life, meaning it should last longer than Lipo.

Lipo was more expensive and had a better run time - but I felt Life was the best bet for me. I dont need 4 hours run time.

Plus - a few friends have the LiFe and Rodney recommended it...so....thats the way I went.

I didnt want the maintenance headache of the nickel metal Hydride and SLA is cheap, but not as dense and no where near the power or run time.

If the LiPo and PiFe were the same price, I would have probably went LiPo but with the cost savings, better cycle life, safety factor and more than adequate run time - I went LiFe.

manni-yunk,

Very good points as well, gives a guy a lot to ponder.

Thanks for the comments, and best wishes with your new scoot, let the love affair begin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom