DPV How much thrust or speed is needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haha49

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Now I'm not a small person I'm 280 lbs just my self and then add on the dive gear and 25lbs of weight since I dive in cold water. I was wondering how much thrust or speed is needed in a DPV. I want something that I can do 2 shore dives with but won't kill the bank account I liked the Cuda 650 but 6,000 is a little high. I would be diving in some mild to strong current area so I want to get something with enough go to get me from shore to a dive sight then back. I don't want something super heavy as lugging it on a rocky beach with all the other dive gear could be a problem. Any recommendations?

Certainly wouldn't go any lower than a Silent Submersion UV-18, they can be had used for a bit under $2k USD, but they do weigh close to 80lbs. Viper LiFe from them would be a great option for you as it is about $4300 and is down at 50lbs with good performance characteristics. A lot of it is local support as well, Dive Xtras is located in Washington State, and their little Piranha P1 is adorable and nice and tiny for a shore diving dpv. 25lbs, similar performance to the Viper LiFe. Downfall to something this small is they tend to be a little twitchy so for really long treks out it may not be ideal, but with size comes weight, so it is a tradeoff. Read the most recent Tahoe Benchmark, it is a bit dated from 2011, but it has a lot of relevant data.

Now I'm not a small person I'm 280 lbs just my self and then add on the dive gear and 25lbs of weight since I dive in cold water. I was wondering how much thrust or speed is needed in a DPV. I want something that I can do 2 shore dives with but won't kill the bank account I liked the Cuda 650 but 6,000 is a little high. I would be diving in some mild to strong current area so I want to get something with enough go to get me from shore to a dive sight then back. I don't want something super heavy as lugging it on a rocky beach with all the other dive gear could be a problem. Any recommendations?

Really hard to beat a used Dive X Sierra. Not very heavy, sufficient thrust, very affordable, and well supported by the Seattle based manufacturer. Almost your neighbor. :)

Tobin

50lbs is to much to lug up a rocky shore. Which is why I was wondering how much thrust is enough as some of the lighter ones don't run as long or don't have the same thrust.

50lbs is to much to lug up a rocky shore. Which is why I was wondering how much thrust is enough as some of the lighter ones don't run as long or don't have the same thrust.

Lighter than fly wings, cheaper than a Tootsee Roll, and more powerful than a freight train. (You are aware that a Cuda 650 is 50 lbs. than a Sierra is ~35 lbs.?)

Tobin

fwiw an AL80 is right around 40lbs when it is full, so 50lbs isn't all that bad..... Lots of guys have made backpack style harnesses for their dpv's as well to carry them up. If 50lbs is too much, it's time to hit the gym...

Squats and Deadlifts are good for the soul! :wink:

fwiw an AL80 is right around 40lbs when it is full, so 50lbs isn't all that bad..... Lots of guys have made backpack style harnesses for their dpv's as well to carry them up. If 50lbs is too much, it's time to hit the gym...

I dive with a steel 130 tank. Heavy sucker makes the AL80 seem like a feather. If you add it all together it's a fair amount of weight to go up rocky shores with. Yes you can dump the 15lb weight belt at the bottom and you can dump the bdc weights which is another 15. It's still not super easy going up a hill will all the weight on. Then lug a scooter and fins on wet slippery rocks and your asking for a fall. That's why I was wondering how much thrust is really needed. You have to remember 50lbs by it self is little 50lbs plus 50lbs = 100. Which isn't undoable. Which is why I'm looking at all the options if the Cuda 650 is 50lbs it's out. If the Serria is 35lbs that's doable. I can lift 300lbs by my self but due to an accident anything on my shoulders or arms is unbearable. It's like being sticking finger in the wall socket through out the arms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom