Contact lenses with full-face mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leam

Contributor
Reaction score
My vision is poor at a distance, about 20/70. Is this a time to get contacts or are they problematic? Our waters are normally zero viz lakes and rivers; our targets are normally bodies and sometimes cars. Water temps go from mid-high 30's to 60ish, I'd guess.

ciao!

leam

I wear contacts with my FFM. Even if there's no vis, it's nice to be able to see when out of the water. Another option is continue to wear your glasses with the addition of an eyeglass kit: AGA Accessories

Rap

Contacts work fine in either a FFM or regular mask.

With soft contacts the size and shape are affected by salinity, so if you get fresh water in them, they get slightly smaller while sea water causes them to get slightly larger. It's mostly a temporary comfort issue but in some cases, depending on fit, swimming around with mask off and eyes open can cause them to get lost.

I wear contacts with my regular mask. When I started I looked into potential hazards and found some people had issues with the hard lenses. DAN has a little info on them. I attached the link. I wear soft lenses and have never had a problem other than occasionally loosing one when I remove the mask.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=88

DA Aquamaster:
Contacts work fine in either a FFM or regular mask.

With soft contacts the size and shape are affected by salinity, so if you get fresh water in them, they get slightly smaller while sea water causes them to get slightly larger. It's mostly a temporary comfort issue but in some cases, depending on fit, swimming around with mask off and eyes open can cause them to get lost.

Just remember, most soft lenses have about a 40% water content and will absorb whatever they come in contact with. My advice (as an Optician/Para Optometric) would be to chuck the lenses if they do actually come into great amounts of fluid, other than those intended for cleaning and such. You never know what organism will be lurking in the water, ready to eat up a nice healthy cornea!

baitedstorm:
Just remember, most soft lenses have about a 40% water content and will absorb whatever they come in contact with. My advice (as an Optician/Para Optometric) would be to chuck the lenses if they do actually come into great amounts of fluid, other than those intended for cleaning and such. You never know what organism will be lurking in the water, ready to eat up a nice healthy cornea!
There you go, talking dirty (lenses) again. :D

Good advice. My daughter has a serious problem a few years ago from some living little gunk on a lens. She got the surgery and no more problems. That is sure a simple process now days.

Gary D.

midwestdvr:
I am blind without glasses and have been using contacts when diving. Never have a problem so far (touch wood). Bring spares just in case you'll have to replace it.

Agreed.

Diving I never have a problem with contacts though waterskiing i frequently loos them. I have also known them to become misshaped and salt seems to do strange things to them

Cool. So the answer with the above and the DAN article is that soft, easily replaceable contacts should be fine. Keep some moistening solution handy.

Thanks! Now I just have to overcome the fear of sticking my finger in my eye...

ciao!

leam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom