Police Diver Drowns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pt40fathoms

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
The following article is all the info I have to date. If any more news is released, I will post it here.

Thursday, May 8, 2003
Dive leader drowns
Accident on day off kills Kenora police officer
By TAMMY MARLOWE, STAFF REPORTER

Members of the Kenora Police Service are trying to come to grips with the shocking loss of their dive team leader who drowned yesterday afternoon while diving with a friend on his day off.

"The flags are definitely flying at half mast right now," a solemn deputy Chief Bruce Ponton said last night of Const. Jeff Ferguson. "Everybody's quite devastated by it -- it was quite a sad moment for all of us."

Although few details of the incident were made available, Kenora OPP Const. Sue Cain said the accident happened shortly after 2 p.m. as Ferguson and friend Dave Fraser, who owns Sunset Diving in Kenora, were trying to recover a vehicle that had sunk into Deception Bay on Lake of the Woods.

'QUITE A SHOCK'

Cain said Ferguson, a 30-year-old married father, was rushed to Lake of the Woods District Hospital but was pronounced dead a short time later.

Members of Ferguson's small platoon were on shift when they learned their dive master had died, Ponton said.

"He was on a day off and they were quite taken aback," he said. "It was quite a shock to the police service."

Ponton said Ferguson began his policing career in Lac Seul, Ont., near Sioux Lookout, and was hired by the Kenora detachment about six or seven years ago.

He was head of the unit's dive team and was about to be promoted to senior constable -- a distinction given to officers who have been on active duty for 10 years.

"He was a very good officer. He was well-liked by everybody, he always had a kind word to say," said Ponton. "He could always be depended upon."

Ferguson grew up in Eastern Canada, Ponton said, adding the officer and his wife, Rebecca, had two or three young children.

An autopsy is scheduled for today to determine the exact cause of his death.

Last night, several police officers and Kenora Mayor Dave Canfield didn't want to comment on the accident. Ponton said it was too early to say what kind of memorial will be held in honour of the fallen officer.

"We don't know what we'll do," he said.

The accident remains under investigation by the Kenora OPP and the provincial Ministry of Labour.

It is sad to hear when anyone so young dies, especially leaving a young family...

I would be intersted in hearing the results of the investigation...

Jeff Lane

On the radio, a few more details have come to light.

The vehicle was being lifted with lift bags, and according to the report, they "had problems" with the lift bags "slipping".

Further information that cannot be confirmed, as their source is not through "official" channels, stated that; the vehicle was being lifted by only the two divers involved, no surface support, and without surface supplied air. When the Const. became trapped the dive shop owner had to rush back to his shop to get extra tanks. When he returned, it was too late.

Under the category of "fact", this dive shop owner has been fined in the past for diving for hire without a commercial license. He is also known in the diving community around here as someone who takes great risks with poorly maintained equipment and training. This incident although tragic, does not come as too great of a shock when we see he was involved. It's a shame that a good person had to die to hopefully shut this person down for good.

(edit) A criminal investigation has been started, no charges have been laid yet.

Very sad.

Yes it is a tragedy, but why was an experienced diver doing this recovery without safety equipment? No bail-out bottle/surface supplied air or safety divers? He should have known better, and now his family is paying the price. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but he darn well should have known better. He was a trained professional.:(

it saddens me to hear of a death diving

but, these incidents should provide insight to the community on risks of certain behaviors
yet the media always waits for the autopsy to " determine " the cause

what is needed is for an experienced, senior diver to do an analysis of the entire plan.

here is a man who spent his life protecting the public and hopefully this report can be used to continue this goal.

i'd like to know what their experience, training, preparation, goals, bailouts, etc etc were , before laying blame anywhere or on anyone.

this is never reported after the fact.
once the headline fades from memory the final report gets buried in the back pages or never seen at all. we're left with opinions and assumptions to base our conclusions on.

do you think we'll see this or am i dreaming?

dt

dtdiver once bubbled...
here is a man who spent his life protecting the public and hopefully this report can be used to continue this goal.

i'd like to know what their experience, training, preparation, goals, bailouts, etc etc were , before laying blame anywhere or on anyone.

this is never reported after the fact.
once the headline fades from memory the final report gets buried in the back pages or never seen at all. we're left with opinions and assumptions to base our conclusions on.

do you think we'll see this or am i dreaming?

dt

Your dreaming.

I have another question. What was the realationship between the shop owner and the the lost diver? Is the shop envolved in the department team?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Your dreaming.

I have another question. What was the realationship between the shop owner and the the lost diver? Is the shop envolved in the department team?

As far as I have been told, there is no association between the shop/shop owner and the police dive team.

I have been told however that the shop owner was the instructor for the police officer that died. This information I must caution, has not been verified but merely passed on by people who know both parties involved. If this is the case, then a level of "trust" would have existed between the two. This level of trust could explain why such a risky endeavor was pursued unchallenged by the ill fated officer.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

As stated from the original report:

pt40fathoms once bubbled...
Although few details of the incident were made available, Kenora OPP Const. Sue Cain said the accident happened shortly after 2 p.m. as Ferguson and friend Dave Fraser, who owns Sunset Diving in Kenora, were trying to recover a vehicle that had sunk into Deception Bay on Lake of the Woods.

The context of the report suggests to me that they were friends/dive buddies and that this was something they were doing on their own, rather than being a "sanctioned" recovery since there was no other support there and it mentions the other members where on shift when they heard of his death.

My sincere condolences to the constable's family, his dive team mates and the rest of the Kenora P.D..
I will share this tragic news with my dive team mates.

Dive hard,
AquaDog

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom