PSD and DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Desert_Pirate

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hey guys I also posted this on the scubaboard medical and physiology forum. this story is a bit disturbing to me as I have seen alot of this sort of thing happen from time to time with no effect, (not psd, but also teaching scuba classes) however not from this depth. Any info would be great, and sorry I dont know what their trianing was consisting of this day... and also appologize if this diver is on the board, I am not slinging mud, just wanting to understand better how this works.

I know of a diver who just got DCS. and my question is what is the primary onset? is it a matter of lots of small things wrong?

Subject is a male in his mid to late thirtees. he is in pretty good physical condition, He smokes, not clear if he drinks, and I dont have info on how well hydrated he was.

He was doing a training dive, with a police department. They had been diving some earlier in the day, however I dont know what his nitrogen level was. (what letter diver by tables, or how many diamonds he may have registered on his computer)

A fellow diver dropped a weight belt and it setteled in about 50 feet of water, approx 6000 ft elevation. he decides he will "bounce" and get it. When the belt was retrieved he is too heavy with his belt and theirs to resurface so he inflates his BC and his Dry suit and makes an haul a$$ ascent. i am told that he gained control around 8 feet so he hung out and did a safety stop for about 2 minutes. (dont kill the messenger here, I am just askin and tellin) he then surfaces.

Later that night he has a head ache but thinks nothing of it, the next day he does some pretty heavy aerobic work out and gains pain in his shoulder joint and then some numbness and tingling down into his hand.

after a trip to the hospital and a phone call to DAN he is treated for DCS. He was quoted to me saying that while in the chamber he felt a "release" when bubbles went back into solution and knew when he was cured. I have never heard anything like before... has anyone?

tonight I have my Search and Rescue meeting and this conversation is bound to come up. I would like some feedback on what probably, possibly, could have brought this on.

I have always been led to believe that De hydration is a huge factor and primary cause of DCS. I have been told that it is caused by too much bottom time and too fast ascent, or/and unproper Safety stop. Last night a very good friend and instructor told me he believes that possibly this onset was triggered by Physical exertion. Does anyone on the board have any answers or Ideas what may have happend. I know its oppinions but a little more understanding of DCS would be helpful to me tonight for our dive teams discussion.
Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom