NeckTite removal from Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aqua-Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering if you have removed a Neck Tite system from a fusion yet? My fusion was ordered with the Neck Tite system so it is sewed into the suit and I was wondering if there is any easy way to remove it and install a standard latex seal? I was thinking remove the black adhesive tape then use a seam ripper to remove the stitching then install a new seal with heat tape. I was going to put this into the drysuit forum but since you're the Fusion guru around these parts I thought I would just go right to the person who would probably be answering the question anyway.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Not Mike, but why would you want to remove the NeckTite system? You can install a standard latex seal on it in about five minutes. I can't use the silicone seals because my neck is too small, but I have standard DUI latex seals on both of my suits.

I find the NeckTite to be very uncomfortable. I can feel it when I move my arms to reach my valves and at other times also. I've done some dives with my old suit a Bare Nex-Gen and I think I'm more comfortable with out it. I'm going to do a couple of dives this weekend and give it another shot. Do you notice the neck ring while you are diving? Maybe I'm just too picky, my wife does say I'm becoming a grouchy old man. Maybe she's on to something:depressed:.

Not as many dives as y'all, but mine doesn't bother me at all. I like swapping seals in a minute.

Do you hang the suit with weight on the neck ring or supported by suspenders? The neck ring will slowly deflect to the curve of your shoulders (hanger really) if you hang on the ring. That was one of the first things Mike recommended to me and it works.

Thanks I will give it a try.

Not as many dives as y'all, but mine doesn't bother me at all. I like swapping seals in a minute.

Yes I do like this feature. I do carry a spare seal, something my buddies with ZipSeals don't do as the seals from DUI cost around $120. But I just can't get around the way the ring feels.

BTW, I am totally sold on the silicon wrist and neck seals. Unbelievably comfortable and tear resistant compared to Latex or Neoprene. I know there were problems with some of the early production runs but mine are great. I ordered the neck and wrist rings so I could quickly replace seals in the field. I tried the Silicon based on Mike’s suggestion and thank him every time I use the suit. I don’t bother to remove the neck seal between dives or if the ride back is cold.

How many dives do you have on the suit? Do like Akimbo said and let it hang on a hanger. Gravity will help shape it a bit.

Give it 10 or more dives...if you still don't like it, it can be removed. If we were to remove it, this is what I would do.....

Get some MEK, and use that and a rag to start to get under the black tape. Once you get it started, that will help release it. You do need alot of MEK on the rag. Do this in a well ventilated area and with gloves on. Once you get that off, seam rip the stitching with a seam ripper. Take out the ring. Then you can use a Urethane glue or the Heat tape we sell to put in a new seal :wink:

Do give the system a good chance though....it would be a shame to get rid of it unless you really can't stand it and have given it a fair shake.

The only time I have noticed mine was diving doubles in my Fusion with nothing underneath it but Diving Concepts base layer. Then, it wasn't completely comfortable standing on the boat, but in the water it was unnoticeable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom