Impact Stubby Mod

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grvland

Registered
Reaction score
I was searching for a dive light that could do multiple power levels so that my wife could use the same light for night dives and to look in holes and under ledges during the day. I simply couldn't find one that was satisfactory at a decent price. I went ahead and bought the DRIS Impact Stubby with spot head due to the overwhelmingly excellent reviews here and elsewhere. (Added bonus to support an Illinois business!)

My dilemma was that some people reported the 1K CREE LED too bright for tropical night diving and that it may scare some creatures off. We've done very limited night diving and always had rental lights that couldn't have been more than a few hundred lumen. These lights were perfectly fine for night diving (which gives credence to the 'too bright' comments), but would certainly have been useless during the day (which is 90+% or our diving). So, I set out to mod the new Stubby so it can be used for both occasions.

I read somewhere (probably here) that someone used a rifle scope cover to mod another light to add a diffuser. I figured I could to the same to reduce the intensity using dark window tint.

Supplies:
Impact Stubby with Spot Head
Impact Stubby Dive Light - Dive Right in Scuba
Rifle Scope Cover
Amazon.com : Butler Creek Blizzard See Thru Scope Cover, Size #7 (1.80 to 1.89-Inch) : Sporting Optic Covers : Sports & Outdoors
Window Tint
Pro Window Tint Sample Pack Selector Shade Kit for Chevy Others | eBay

It's easy to pop out the plastic lens cover by carefully prying out the snap ring. Then I just added static 'black out' tint to both sides put the plastic back in. I tried adding it to one side, but it didn't seem to reduce the intensity enough. I estimate about 1/2 the original intensity using 2 layers. I have not tested it in the water yet. My first opportunity will be in December in Bonaire (my dive buddy/wife refuses to dive in Illinois!). It may not even be necessary, but it only cost around $10 to make so I figured I'd try it out.

Pics
IMG_20141011_095942.jpgIMG_20141011_095957.jpgIMG_20141011_100033.jpgIMG_20141011_100043.jpgIMG_20141011_100144.jpg

Last edited:
You could have purchased the video head, it's got the diffuser in it. Cool adaptation either way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom