Diving Dry, is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As residents of this planet, most of us live in areas that don’t present the easiest access to warm water diving or comfortable air temperatures year round. In fact if you are reading this, cooler seasons are most likely a part of life where you live. As divers, we owe it to our investment to dive regularly. Not only to keep our skill set current, but to also make use of our significant investment of time, money, and training. Sadly, for most of us traveling to a warm water destination multiple times a year isn’t in the cards of our lives either.

Of course there is a viable option that will keep most of us under the water comfortably year round and that would be to take the leap into diving in a drysuit. While most often drysuits add a large chunk to the already substantial investment in diving, they also make that investment more useful by as much as doubling our access to diving year round. With that in mind, lets take a closer look at the direct benefits of drysuit diving:

• Increased comfort under water-those 38 degree quarries in January won’t make you shiver!
  • Increased comfort during surface intervals-we’re not having to dry off to get warm only to get wet again a little later.
  • Longer bottom times-remember from our open water training that warmth under water is a factor of time.
  • Redundant source of buoyancy-In the event of BCD bladder failure you have a back up for an added safety factor.
  • Less physiological stress on our bodies-we’re expending less energy trying to stay warm!
As you can clearly see, there are a number of benefits to diving a drysuit...the most obvious being simply the ability to dive more closer to home!

When it comes to purchasing a drysuit and training, there are also quite a few things to consider. First off would be your budget, how much do you want to spend on the suit itself? training? yearly upkeep and maintenance? Buy your suit from a place known for their outstanding customer service and that offers a maintenance and replacement plans like this LIFETIME DRYSUIT WARRANTY. All suits require periodic maintenance and repair and this needs to be factored into your budget. There are different types of replaceable seal options that can really limit your down time and help make your suit repairs more DIY. Find out what type of suit best fits your needs. Shell or crushed neoprene? While a shell type suit is lighter weight, you would need to purchase and wear an undergarment for thermal protection. With a crushed neoprene suit, undergarments can be optional depending on dive environment and your cold tolerance but they are a great deal bulkier than the former type. Both have their advantages. Shell suits dryquicker and are much lighter weight typically, but do require more of an undergarment. Neoprene suits can be more buoyant, but also give alot more warmth.

While drysuit diving will add to the expense and training requirement of your diving, there are obvious benefits. So instead of sitting inside all winter in your sweats, watching it snow and searching warm dive destinations on the Internet, grab a drysuit, get trained and fear the cold no longer! Let Dive Right In Scuba help you pick the perfect suit! Give one of your experts a call so we can go over what your needs are, and help you pick the perfect suit that will last you a lifetime!

See all suits here

As a Swede I can't imagine not diving dry.
I have a 5mm wetsuit but can only use it a few months a year.
And oh my is it nice to get out of the water and being dry, not to mention how awful it feels to peel on a wet wetsuit if your doing more than 1 dive :)
I own an Aquion drysuit myself but tend to borrow one from my LDS since I like their Ursuit ones better.

Tapatalked

Try diving in a wetsuit in Scotland and the general rule is that in six months you will done one of two things;

1. Bought a drysuit or
2. Given up diving in Scotland.

Don't forget that diving dry opens up new options and opportunities for diving vacations. For me, I'm interested in ice diving.

What a bunch of warm water wussies! My Harvard professor dove Antarctica WET in 1957 (International Geophysical Year). Of course he looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy in that wetsuit. I dive wet exclusively (even when I dove my drysuit). Diving Dry is for folks who read my newspaper columns or watch my DVDs. Of course when I head to Antarctica, I will change my tune!

Back
Top Bottom