Cold Water and Ice Diving?-What Regulators Fit the Bill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba 2

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We know your type, the one who shirks warm tropical dive destinations or the normal summer dive season. You refer to diving in a pair of swim trunks as simply “swimming”, you have a beard and kill grizzly bears while riding a tiger and drinking beer from a iron cast stein. Yeah, you like cold water and ice diving. To the connoisseur of the dropping mercury we here at DRIS salute you! Of course, being tough is great but you still need a reliable regulator to breathe from under all of that ice right? With that in mind, fill up that triumphant stein one more time and let’s talk about cold water and ice diving regulators shall we?
Let’s take a close look at what type of regulator function is needed for a regulator to maintain it’s dependability in cold water. Of course the regulator should be a diaphragm type that is inherently less prone to “freezing up” in the open position allowing the regulator to free flow uncontrollably. Next the regulator should feature an environmental seal that keeps the inner workings of the regulator protected from the elements.
Here at DRIS, we feature a number of solid regulator set ups that include these features. New on the market is the HOG D3 Regulator Set. This regulator features better performance than the D1 in a smaller size and utilizes several of the suggestions users made on how to make the D1 even better. With the hose routing of a Piston regulator, but the durability and coldwater benefits of a diaphragm reg, the D3 is a true industry innovation!
Up next we feature the tried and true Apeks XTX50/DS4 Regulator Set. With this regulator as the diver descends the demand for air increases. To maintain the supply, the intermediate pressure increases relative to the water depth. In this dry sealed system hydrostatic pressure, acting on the outer sealing diaphragm, is transmitted to the primary diaphragm via the load transmitter. This first stage utilizes a unique over-tracking (over-balanced) diaphragm design, where the intermediate pressure supplied to the second stage increases more than traditional balanced models, as the diver descends to greater depths. The result is superior breathing performance regardless of depth.
Last but not least is the Hollis DC1-212 Regulator Set. This balanced, environmentally sealed, diaphragm regulator features unparallelled gas flow and free service kits for life! Even better this high performance over-balanced first stage provides progressively greater intermediate pressure as depth and gas density increases for superior gas delivery under the most extreme conditions. Coupled with the 212 pneumatically balanced 2nd stage, this is a set that can’t be beat!
So, if you’re that diver whose equipment list includes a chainsaw and fire pit be sure to take a close look at the regulators featured above. Also remember that the crew here at DRIS are always available to answer your cold hard questions about all equipment for ice and diving in general. Heck, we may even be inclined to join you on the lake for some chilly goodness...with or without the manly beard!

My Apex XTX200 performed quite nicely under the ice today.

Hopefully the other parts of your dive were also amazing!

Yup, the students performed flawlessly. It was a great day. More of it tomorrow. Will sleep the sleep of the dead tonight.

A dedicated article on Poseidon along with other brands are in the pipeline. Stay tuned...

Just how cold of water, before you should consider using a cold water reg? I have an Atomic Z2 that I used in 37 degree water last weekend and it worked flawlessly. It's not packed w/christo-lube. I can't imagine ever diving in much colder water. I have dove where the surface temp was 31-32 degrees, but it gets warmer as you go deeper. I did have my inflator freeze on the surface, but air temps were 17 degrees.

Personally, I believe that if you're regularly diving in water at or below 50 degrees F an environmentally sealed or "cold water" reg is advisable. Of course this doesn't take into account air temps which are also a consideration.

soonerwink, I would argue that air temps are more critical than water temps based on my experience. When air temps are hovering around freezing, the most common time for the regs to freeflow is when you are in the water, the first stage gets wet and is right at the waterline and you inhale, this causes the water on the first stage to freeze almost instantly. For water temps it depends on quite a few factors, but 45-50F is about the line for me. All of my regs except my Poseidons are sealed diaphragm and Poseidon has worked around it to where their first stages don't need environmental caps. I prefer sealed diaphragms for all diving, especially ocean since the salt can't get inside of the regulator and build up which can't always be rinsed out after the dive, or cave diving where stage bottles and deco bottles are often left in the silt for a while, better to leave them all sealed.

I have been using the Apex up here in Alaska for 13 years and have never had a problem. Good set up. Water temps range from 34 to 58 degrees with air tems from the low teens to 70s.

Back
Top Bottom