Techreational...It's Not A Sci Fi Movie!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba 2

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Recent advances in diving exploration and technology have opened up new and exciting realms of underwater exploration that were once only open to the most hardcore of explorers. For a number of years, sport diving was clearly divided into recreational and technical. Recently, that line has become blurred with terms like techreational being thrown around. So what is techreational? For the longest time I had a tough time defining this term to students. Only recently, I’ve come up with a suitable explanation I like to refer to as the “three R’s” and no I’m not talking reading ‘ritin, and ‘rithmetic! These three R’s are Rig, Redundancy, and Range. So, let’s break these three terms down.
First, let’s talk about rig. This term refers to equipment, the techreational diver must dive with mission and planning in mind. To go beyond the simple strap on a tank of air and dive, the diver must have equipment that can be adjusted to the individual dive. The first concept here is modularity. The rig must possess the ability to employ varying lift devices and capacities, weighting setups, and equipment carrying ability. In addition, the dive rig must be of a robust construction to endure added cylinder weight, and conditions. Most often, a harness and wing like the Dive Rite Transpac Package or the DRIS Dive Gear BP/W would be the preferred option over a jacket BCD for backmounted cylinders, or a dedicated sidemount rig if diving that configuration.
Next, let’s discuss redundancy. Techreational typically goes just beyond the range or the shallow recreational diver where a simple CESA is not a viable emergency option. With this in mind the techreational diver must consider breathing gas reserves like a second cylinder,pony bottle, H-Valve, or double cylinders with manifold. In addition redundant buoyancy must be considered when multiple cylinders are employed on a dive. This is simply because the techreational diver is carrying their ballast in added cylinders and equipment where ditchable weight doesn’t come into play. Most often redundant buoyancy comes in the form of a dual bladdered wing, drysuit, or deployable lift bag. For those divers who are venturing into caves, wrecks or other overhead environments where lights must be used a back up solution must be considered in the event of primary light failure.
Finally let’s toss around the idea of range. Simply put the techreational diver will often be going deeper, longer, or further than the basic recreational dive. With range, simple decompression obligations and overhead environments will become a dive planning consideration. With this in mind, the safe techreational diver must have a solid understanding of dive planning and emergency procedures.
While the techreational diver doesn’t go to the places and depth that the experienced technical diver goes, they do adventure into dives that require more planning and considerations than the simple shallow reef dive. If you have any questions about expanding your diving into the techreational realm, the team at DRIS has the gear and training you need!

I know this is the sponsors section- but it's scary to see promotion of something like this by a major scuba supplier.

So what's the difference between training a Tec diver and a "techreational" diver? Based on this definition- none.

So then safety demands Tec training.

1) they need to know and be able to plan decompression
2) they need to be aware of overhead protocols
3) they need to use a harness system
4) they need redundancy in lighting, lift/buoyancy, gas volume and gas delivery

All "techreational" is muddy waters.

You can do better.

actually, I find it a refreshing sales pitch in a different direction, much better than the "zero to hero" crap I see so often pushing the going "pro"....

Nice to get people started sooner using the right gear and planning dives properly

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I know this is the sponsors section- but it's scary to see promotion of something like this by a major scuba supplier.

So what's the difference between training a Tec diver and a "techreational" diver? Based on this definition- none.

You can do better.
There are Professional Commercial Divers (Oil rig, Shipyard etc) and Military Divers (Special Ops, Ordnance Disposal, Underwater Demolition etc); and there are the rest of us: Sport Recreational Technical Divers ---"Techreational" is simply a contraction terminology of this phrase. . .

You can do better.

" Simply put the techreational diver will often be going deeper, longer, or further than the basic recreational dive. With range, simple decompression obligations and overhead environments will become a dive planning consideration. With this in mind, the safe techreational diver must have a solid understanding of dive planning and emergency procedures."- Yep, covered that

" Simply put the techreational diver will often be going deeper, longer, or further than the basic recreational dive. With range, simple decompression obligations and overhead environments will become a dive planning consideration. With this in mind, the safe techreational diver must have a solid understanding of dive planning and emergency procedures."- Yep, covered that, again

"In addition, the dive rig must be of a robust construction to endure added cylinder weight, and conditions. Most often, a harness and wing like the Dive Rite Transpac Package or the DRIS Dive Gear BP/W would be the preferred option over a jacket BCD for backmounted cylinders, or a dedicated sidemount rig if diving that configuration."- Hey, three for three

"Next, let’s discuss redundancy. Techreational typically goes just beyond the range or the shallow recreational diver where a simple CESA is not a viable emergency option. With this in mind the techreational diver must consider breathing gas reserves like a second cylinder,pony bottle, H-Valve, or double cylinders with manifold. In addition redundant buoyancy must be considered when multiple cylinders are employed on a dive. This is simply because the techreational diver is carrying their ballast in added cylinders and equipment where ditchable weight doesn’t come into play. Most often redundant buoyancy comes in the form of a dual bladdered wing, drysuit, or deployable lift bag. For those divers who are venturing into caves, wrecks or other overhead environments where lights must be used a back up solution must be considered in the event of primary light failure"- Sheesh, looks like he already hit all of your points!!

"You can do better."- must fall under the clause, practice what you preach!!!

And some of us actually offer a "TecReational" class which is designed to help "pure recreational" divers who are starting to push the limits of "recreational" diving. Perhaps I should have trademarked the name.

TecReational Diver

This is what I love about writing for the dive industry, spirited debate! It's threads like this that really help us stay at the cutting edge of our sport as we really have to think about what we're about to say before plugging away at the keyboard. For that I personally, as well as the rest of the crew at DRIS(I'm sure) are eternally grateful for. It's you who make us better!:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom