Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

  • Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: NeckTite removal from Fusion

 

  1. #11
    Registered


    Currently On Land
     

    Peter_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    2
    I feel the neck assembly at the surface, and once in a great while underwater. Typically it doesn't "bother" me though, I just "notice" it. The Neck Tite system has never interfered on a valve drill.

    Mike recommends MEK, where as I tend to use heat more. A couple minutes with a heat gun usually loosens everything up to be pulled off. Heat slowly keeping the heat moving so you don't burn anything.
    AQUA IS LIFE!


  2. #12
    Tech Diver


    Is going into
    nitrogen withdrawals.
     

    Aqua-Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Southern NH.
    Posts
    1,032
    Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    38
    I have about 30 dives on the suit, all in cold water. I'm going to try hanging the suit to form the ring, and give it some more dives. I guess if I had a dive ruined by a torn neck seal I would not be wanting to get rid of it but it has not happened yet. My Nex-Gen is 3.5 years old and the seals still look like new (I hope I didn't just jinx myself), I did purchase a new neck neck seal and the heat applied tape from DRIS to replace my Nex-Gen's neck seal but I just haven't got around to it yet. So am I the only one that notices the ring? I feel it the most above the water and when reaching for my valves, I can't say it hurts but it just feels restrictive and that is not why I purchased a fusion. Like I said before maybe I'm just to picky.

  3. #13
    ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

    Has not set a "status"
     

    Dive Right In Scuba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Plainfield, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    3,551
    Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    6
    Have you checked your suspenders? Maybe they are stuck and not giving you full freedom of movement:
    Fusion Suspenders Potential Problem - YouTube
    Dive Right In Scuba.com
    Mike Pedersen, Operations Manager

    815-267-8400

    Like us on Facebook - Dive Shop
    Like us on Facebook- Dive Boat


  4. #14
    Tech Diver


    Is going into
    nitrogen withdrawals.
     

    Aqua-Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Southern NH.
    Posts
    1,032
    Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    38
    Ya I'm pretty sure they are not stuck, there in a bin in my basement . I felt all they did was restrict movement and made it harder to turn the suit inside out to dry. We very rarely walk around between dives with our suit tops hanging down, as far as I know that is what the suspenders are for.

  5. #15
    Registered


    Currently On Land
     

    Peter_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive Right In Scuba View Post
    Have you checked your suspenders? Maybe they are stuck and not giving you full freedom of movement:
    Fusion Suspenders Potential Problem - YouTube
    Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue? It is one of my grips with the suit, as it happens quite often when wearing the suit with the top off and my heavy pockets and all hanging from the suspenders. I remember seeing someone using the plastic weight belt clips, but I don't really want to add anything in that area as such. I have considered just sewing them in place at the right area.
    AQUA IS LIFE!


  6. #16



    .
     

    Akimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mendocino, California
    Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
    Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue? ...
    Yep, but it may not work for everyone and will explain why later. I just un-Velcro’d the suspenders from the suit, removed them from the guides near the zipper, and re-connected them outside the guides. End of problem. The crotch stays as adjusted.

    Now here is why it might not work for everyone. I completely disconnected the outer skin from the DryCore bag. I don the suit in this order:

    1. Don underwear
    2. Don the DryCore up to about waist level
    3. Connect P-tube
    4. Don the Bullet Skin up to about waist level
    5. Sit down, pull Skin above knee cap and don modified Fusion Boots (more later)
    6. Pull skin leg down over boots
    7. Stand, and don rest of the DryCore
    8. Don the rest of the skin
    9. Close water-tight zipper
    10. Close outer protective zipper on DryCore
    11. Close zipper sewn into the gap on the Skin where it used to Velcro to the suit
    12. Poke the dump, inflation, and P-valves through holes in the skin


    It sounds complicated but is much faster and easier to don & doff now. It also makes testing the DryCore and cleaning it and the Skin far easier. To make this happen I had to:

    1. Remove the dump and fill valves and re-seat to extricate the Skin
    2. Carefully remove all the hook-side Velcro from the DryCore except for inside where the suspenders attach to the front.
    3. Sew in a patch of ballistic nylon with a #10 zipper to fill the gap in the Skin
    4. Cut the top of the Fusion Boots off and sew on a conical shaped extension of ballistic Nylon. Extra folds were provided for grommets and a #10 Zipper. 1" Nylon webbing straps were installed at the top. One side of the zipper was laced to the grommets like a shoe. This prevents sand from entering the boot which can ware a hole through the suit, dramatically increased shin protection (which is the first place I punch a hole), and act as built-in Gaiters. Photos attached. Sorry the poor black-on-black contrast.
    5. About 4" were added to the leg length on the skin
    6. Twist locks were added to the pocket flaps
    7. Small 1" webbing loops were sewn on the arm of the skin to capture a wrist computer so it can’t migrate
    8. Replace the cheesy plastic D-rings inside the pockets with stainless


    I actually bought a light industrial sewing machine off E-bay for this project. My sewing is ugly but strong at this point. I can’t believe how many times I use that machine now for modifying dive gear.

    Sidebar:
    FYI Peter, I sewed 2' of ½" webbing to the Nautilus Lifeline Radio with a bolt snap at the other end. I keep it snapped to the D-ring in my right pocket until I pull it out and transfer the snap to the shoulder D-ring before opening the top. Worked well this last weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Akimbo; February 2nd, 2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typo
    Support disabled divers and the Lift to Freedom with donations though Amazon Smile. They will automatically donate ½% of your purchases. Logon to www.smile.amazon.com and select the Monterey Bay Veterans as your charity.

  7. #17
    Tech Diver


    Is going into
    nitrogen withdrawals.
     

    Aqua-Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Southern NH.
    Posts
    1,032
    Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Akimbo View Post
    Yep, but it may not work for everyone and will explain why later. I just un-Velcro’d the suspenders from the suit, removed them from the guides near the zipper, and re-connected them outside the guides. End of problem. The crotch stays as adjusted.

    Now here is why it might not work for everyone. I completely disconnected the outer skin from the DryCore bag. I don the suit in this order:
    1. Don underwear
    2. Don the DryCore up to about waist level
    3. Connect P-tube
    4. Don the Bullet Skin up to about waist level
    5. Sit down, pull Skin above knee cap and don modified Fusion Boots (more later)
    6. Pull skin leg down over boots
    7. Stand, and don rest of the DryCore
    8. Don the rest of the skin
    9. Close water-tight zipper
    10. Close outer protective zipper on DryCore
    11. Close zipper sewn into the gap on the Skin where it used to Velcro to the suit
    12. Poke the dump, inflation, and P-valves through holes in the skin

    It sounds complicated but is much faster and easier to don & doff now. It also makes testing the DryCore and cleaning it and the Skin far easier. To make this happen I had to:
    1. Remove the dump and fill valves and re-seat to extricate the Skin
    2. Carefully remove all the hook-side Velcro from the DryCore except for inside where the suspenders attach to the front.
    3. Sew in a patch of ballistic nylon with a #10 zipper to fill the gap in the Skin
    4. Cut the top of the Fusion Boots off and sew on a conical shaped extension of ballistic Nylon. Extra folds were provided for grommets and a #10 Zipper. 1" Nylon webbing straps were installed at the top. One side of the zipper was laced to the grommets like a shoe. This prevents sand from entering the boot which can ware a hole through the suit, dramatically increased shin protection (which is the first place I punch a hole), and act as built-in Gaiters. Photos attached. Sorry the poor black-on-black contrast.
    5. About 4" were added to the leg length on the skin
    6. Twist locks were added to the pocket flaps
    7. Small 1" webbing loops were sewn on the arm of the skin to capture a wrist computer so it can’t migrate
    8. Replace the cheesy plastic D-rings inside the pockets with stainless

    I actually bought a light industrial sewing machine off E-bay for this project. My sewing is ugly but strong at this point. I can’t believe how many times I use that machine now for modifying dive gear.

    Sidebar:
    FYI Peter, I sewed 2' of ½" webbing to the Nautilus Lifeline Radio with a bolt snap at the other end. I keep it snapped to the D-ring in my right pocket until I pull it out and transfer the snap to the shoulder D-ring before opening the top. Worked well this last weekend.

    I would love to see a YouTube video of this. Your donning procedure and suit modifications sound interesting, I just cant paint a mental picture of it.

  8. #18



    .
     

    Akimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Mendocino, California
    Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqua-Andy View Post
    I would love to see a YouTube video of this. Your donning procedure and suit modifications sound interesting, I just cant paint a mental picture of it.
    Except for the modified boots, the donning sequence isn’t much different than donning a standard trilam and coveralls on top of that — common in commercial diving. Once the coveralls are on, picture putting on a pair of knee-high Wellington boots under the coveralls. The Fusion skins are just really nice elastic coveralls that makes it swim more like a wetsuit than a wrinkled garbage bag.

    I like being able to sew stuff on the Skin and modify it as much as I like without impacting the watertight envelope. Protection is also much better than a trilam. When the Skin snags, it tends to pull away from the DryCore, except in compression punctures like a lower leg coming down on wreckage… thus the boots.

    Hope this helps. It probably makes no sense unless you have worn a Fusion. The whole project is an interesting and ongoing experiment.

    BTW, if I ever did a rev-2, I would use half as many grommets on the boots. Divers last weekend were amazed when they saw me duck-dive head first in a drysuit as easy as in a wetsuit.
    Ulfhedinn likes this.
    Support disabled divers and the Lift to Freedom with donations though Amazon Smile. They will automatically donate ½% of your purchases. Logon to www.smile.amazon.com and select the Monterey Bay Veterans as your charity.

  9. #19
    ScubaBoard Supporter

    Go Red - Support SB!

    knows better, but that has
    not stopped him yet.
     

    gypsyjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    capitol region of New York
    Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    339
    Thanks, folks. Having just blown the neck seal on my Fusion this was a good link Henrik sent me, and great info to have before doing the repairs.


    [IMG]http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=181070&stc=1&d=1396550 637[/IMG [
    popcorn, turn the last> [ to the left, like this> ]
    ______________________________

    custom Jewelery, inspired by my love of nature, and diving:

    http://www.facebook.com/ringdoctor

  10. #20
    Tech Diver


    Is going into
    nitrogen withdrawals.
     

    Aqua-Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Southern NH.
    Posts
    1,032
    Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    38
    Now that this thread has resurfaced I figure I should give an update. I started hanging the suit on my HangAir for storage, before I would just hang until dry then I would roll up and pack in it's bin so it's ready for the next dive. Now that the ring is formed I find the system to be way more comfortable than before and I'm actually thinking about instilling the NeckTite in My Nex-Gen as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cummerbund removal from Brigade
    By Arete in forum Zeagle
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 6th, 2006, 03:49 PM
  2. Compass Removal from Aeris Computer?
    By smb1014 in forum Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 5th, 2003, 12:14 AM
  3. Help in my quest to be removed from techdiver mailing list
    By trymixdiver in forum Basic Scuba Discussions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: February 3rd, 2003, 06:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •