Wing Grommet has pulled out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeedABiggerBoat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a dive rite rec wing that has had the uppermost grommet torn out (not going to share the blunder that resulted in this). I am eager to replace this grommet, and the hole is a little frayed, but in otherwise excellent condition. Is the a special tool I need to re-insert it? Or do I just fiddle it back in? Or am I screwed? Please help!

you can go to home depot and get a grommet tool... The problem is since the fabric is frayed you're going to have a little flex in the area. You can usually get different sized grommets if the store is good. I wouldn't put the old one back in though, wouldn't hold.

You can likely find the grommets and tool at a fabric or sewing store as well. A boating store might be a better option as they will be more likely to have grommets of brass or SS so they don't rust.

You'll need a new grommet. Grommets come in all sizes so if the hole is too big for the size that was there, you can go up one size. There are different grades and thicknesses of metal as well, so look over whichever ones you're thinking of getting. Marine stores are a common source, as is the net. Nickel-plated brass should resist tarnishing a little better than plain brass. I think I've even seen stainless steel grommets advertised, but have no experience with them. For a stronger hold in thicker material, there are spur grommets where the two halves mesh a little more securely. Each size and type (plain vs spur) requires it's own matched tool. There are pliers-like tools (and fittings for standard pliers) for lighter duty, and an anvil style where you hit one piece against a heavier anvil, using a hammer.

I've replaced and installed new grommets in wings and other things where needed. It's not difficult to do a passable job. Depending where the grommet is, it may not really be needed - if it's a mounting hole that's sandwiched between two flat surfaces such as a plate and washer, it's kinda redundant to also have a grommet. You might even get a stronger joint w/o the grommet, since the force will be spread over a large diameter than just the grommet circumference (assuming your washer is big enough).

Back
Top Bottom