Dive Rite Venture Wing Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I've been using a Dive Rite venture wing for about 8 months now and yesterday had a problem. I always dump the salt water from my BC at the ned of the day, always add freshwater inside and then blow it up and dump all the water out (plus I generally dip the entie BC in a rinse bucket).

Anyway the BC is nearly new, but i noticed that the Over Pressure Valve (OPV) was leaking a little after I had blown the BC up hard. I tried to screw the valve down harder, but it was tight so i took it apart.

I was amazed! The OPV spring was totally corroded, rust everywhere on it! I removed it and very gently manipulated the spring and it totally failed breaking into 3 pieces!!!!

I am pretty certain that another dive or two this would have totally failed potentially leaving me in a dangerous situaion on a technical dive.

Clearly the materials used were inferior. Is this a common problem with Dive Rite? Will Dive Rite send me a new spring to fix my OPV?

I had the same problem, an OPV that would not quite seal.
There was a recall on certain DR wings OPV, and when I called they sent me another complete OPV right away.
Simple and quick fix.

I think I wil try to call them tomorrow. It was incredibly rusty all over.

I cut a section out the spring from a sprinkler head pop up and bent and twisted it a little and it seems to be holding fine, but I worry that the spring may be too strong..I hope they can mail me a spring.

The Over Pressurization Valve (OPV) springs found on Dive Rite brand wings manufactured between June 2006 and October 2008 have been recalled because they may rust and then fail, allowing the buoyancy compensator devices to lose inflation creating a drowning hazard. The wings have serial numbers falling between 42000 and 72000. The recall does not affect springs found on more recent EXP or 360-branded wings. The recall does not affect lift bags, surface marker tubes or other Dive Rite inflatable devices.

To determine for certain if you have one of the affected wings, inspect the small white label sewn in to the wing,
this label contains the serial number. If the number is outside of the range 42000 to 72000 then the wing is not affected by the recall and you need take no further action. If you do have one of the affected wings, do not dive with the wing until the spring has been replaced.

If you have a wing affected by the recall, you have two options to choose from in order to replace the spring. You may request a replacement directly from the Dive Rite factory or you may request the replacement from the original selling dealer.

1) If you did not purchase the wing from us, you should request the spring from the original selling dealer or directly from Dive Rite. Please be aware we are not Dive Rite the wholesale manufacturer located in Lake City, Florida. We are Dive Gear Express, doing business on the web as Dive Gear Express | Equipment for Experienced Divers (formerly Dive Rite Express), a retail local dive shop and internet business in Pompano Beach, Florida. We are not affiliated with Dive Rite, other than the fact that we are an independent dealer of their products. You may contact Mike in Dive Rite Service at service@diverite.com or call them at 800-495-1046 to request these springs.

2) If you purchased the wing from us, you may also reply to this e-mail and send us the serial number of your wing and the address where you wish us to send the replacement spring. Once you receive the new spring, do-it-yourself replacement instructions are available at the Dive Rite factory website SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc You may also send the wing to us and we will perform the inspection and replacement for you.

Sincerely,
Dive Gear Express

The Over Pressurization Valve (OPV) springs found on Dive Rite brand wings manufactured between June 2006 and October 2008 have been recalled because they may rust and then fail, allowing the buoyancy compensator devices to lose inflation creating a drowning hazard. The wings have serial numbers falling between 42000 and 72000. The recall does not affect springs found on more recent EXP or 360-branded wings. The recall does not affect lift bags, surface marker tubes or other Dive Rite inflatable devices.

To determine for certain if you have one of the affected wings, inspect the small white label sewn in to the wing,
this label contains the serial number. If the number is outside of the range 42000 to 72000 then the wing is not affected by the recall and you need take no further action. If you do have one of the affected wings, do not dive with the wing until the spring has been replaced.

DD - sounds to me like if your wing is not in that S/N range then you are SOL.:shakehead: I like that expedient repair you did.

DD - sounds to me like if your wing is not in that S/N range then you are SOL.:shakehead: I like that expedient repair you did.

If that turns out to be the case, please give me a call anyway. I'll see what I can do to help.

--Joyce

Deleted: Awap took all the Joy out of my post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom