RX2 Light vs RX17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadude_LA

Contributor
Reaction score
Last known coordinates: Western Hemisphere
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking to maybe upgrade my trusty RX2 to a new light. RX2 still works great, just getting itchy I guess and sort of want the sidemount style canister now. Have been looking at new offerings from different brands.
My RX2 had been rock solid since I got it several years ago, so considering the RX17. I like the head switch and the electronics on the RX2 so would be a natural progression there, and like the QRM concept. Wouldn't mind a little tighter hotspot than the rx2 for my needs.
How does it compare the the RX2? All the darn light specs are all over the place on the web (lux, lumen, degrees, annual percentage rates, blah blah). Hard to know what a light really does these days by just reading, even harder to travel just to test a light in person. Not sure if I'm being silly and should just stick with the RX2 till she fades, which might be a while.
thx in advance

the LED's won't fade, so don't wait for that. DiveRite is launching a couple new lights at DEMA in November, so since you're close to vegas you may want to see if you can't sneak in. Have to be affiliated with a dive shop or have DM or AI at least to get in.

Scubadude_LA,
The RX2 had a lux output around 8500-9000 and the RX17 has a 17000 lux. It is noticeably brighter with about the same duration. The RX17 also uses a single LED in the center which has greatly improved the hot spot it gives compared to the RX2 with 4 individual LEDs and the RX10 with 4 clustered LEDs.

Hope that helps,
Jared

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom