Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Hip Transplant Help

Rest in Peace

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I had a double hip replacement about 8 years ago. After completing my Physical Therapy, I was told to avoid undue stress for 6 mos. What does you Doc say?

As far as BHB, have a buddy drag your gear into shallow water and don it there. Less stress than walking.

I am well past the initial recovery, and I still have some pain in my hips, particularly the left one. I don't let it stop me from diving. Boat dives are easy. I have some difficulty with rough shore entries on Bonaire, but just get my buddy to help me stay balanced.
    See my photos
    http://photobucket.com/albums/p623/Herbdb

THOMAS JEFFERSON, letter to Robert Skipwith, Aug. 3, 1771
    We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt.

Registered

Spit in your mask, pee in your
    wetsuit. Not the other way
    around

Dives
    100 - 199
    Thanks for your input. As for the doc said (who was actually the surgeon this visit) "throw your cane away in 2 weeks" meaning I wouldn't need it anymore. This was his reply to my question....'hey doc, why am I still having to use this thing?' I did not ask him about diving this visit because I obviously can't dive using a cane. They did do an xray and he seemed satified with it.

I have asked his partner who is also a orthropedic surgeon in past visits about diving in July and her answer was maybe.

Tomorrow makes 8 weeks and July 25th is 12 weeks (3 months). My next visit isn't until Aug. 8th which will be week 14. I guess 2 more weeks doesn't seem all that long but I see the summer slipping away. And on top of that, I really don't expect a straight answer from the doc.

As far as a boat dive vs. a shore dive at BHB....the Atlantic might be slick cam or it might be 4-6' making it hell to get back on a boat. Won't have that problem at the bridge, just the walk to the water.

In any case, I have 4 more weeks until I wanted to dive so, maybe.

Captain

Has not set a "status"

12 years since my double hip replacements and now diving caves. but dragging my self in and out of the various springs I still have to be aware of my hip precautions..

Rest in Peace

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Its great once you get in the water. At my age, the only time nothing hurts is when I am diving.
    See my photos
    http://photobucket.com/albums/p623/Herbdb

THOMAS JEFFERSON, letter to Robert Skipwith, Aug. 3, 1771
    We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    I use a Wheeleez Beach Cart to carry my gear to the water and put it on once in the water.
    Have done this in fresh or ocean entry.
    Boats, depending on the circumstances, I either sit at the edge of the entry and have the
    dive master assist with the gear or I've put it on in the water depending on the waves.
    Getting back on board, I'll pass my weights to the dive master and claim on board with their
    help or take the gear off in the water and they lift it on board.
    Gotten over how it looks...last dive in Bermuda the dive master said your a "rock star."

Divemaster
    Badge

Drying out in the desert...

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I had a hip replacement in 2003 and also have some back problems. I am able to walk with the gear on, but need help getting up off the seat. I rarely climb back on board with my gear on--only if it's a really good ladder. I just take it off in the water and hand it up.

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI Instructor

Dives
    500 - 999
    Blog Entries
    I did a workshop with a TDI course director who mentioned this. His answer was to go sidemount! I am looking into it for next season. My knees, hips, and lower back are encouraging me to do it sooner!

You put on the harness and get in the water. Then clip on the tanks or tank. Reverse getting out. On shore you set them in the shallows. On a boat they hand tank to you and you hand it to them before getting out.
    Quality SKILLS AND EDUCATION BASED Training via SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI -UDM AQUATIC SERVICES.

AUTHOR : SCUBA:A Practical Guide for the New Diver 2nd Edition Print here!
    Kindle here

UDM Aquatics Blog

Offering HOG/EDGE Gear, Manta Industries/Highseas Millworks, and Apollo Sports Products

jimlap212@comcast.net for info and orders or call 724-255-3765

There are SCUBA Divers who are safe, skilled, and independent explorers with a sense of adventure. Then there are Underwater Tourists who need constant supervision. UDM Aquatics trains SCUBA Divers. To see how and why we do that click here

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos
    I cannot answer your question exactly but I feel your pain, sorry for hearing and hope you get better. Two years after cracking my hip socket, breaking my femur in two places and a minor stroke as a result from a bull dogs attack while on my bicycle, all is well. It was six month before I could dive again though I was back on my bicycle in about three. I canceled a trip to Bonair because of the inability to walk in gear. Now, almost exactly two years later, I still sometimes limp, have no real limitations that other people my age have not had for two decades already but I have a permanent reduction in capability. My swim and bike times are longer and I can no longer run.

So, will you get better, yes, do your PT and do your workouts and if you do not meet BMI then lose enough weight to meet BMI. Go slow and build and to some extent, some of the pain may never go away. But, then, some limitations are in the head, I would rather hurt than be dead.

N
    Swim down, swim around, swim back up
    I am just going to have to say what I say, the reader can take it or leave it, as is.
    Safety is way overrated
    MOF Supporter
    Warning, old grouchy coots may be ignored!

Registered

Spit in your mask, pee in your
    wetsuit. Not the other way
    around

Dives
    100 - 199
    UPDATE: I dove the bridge the 23rd, 24th and 26th. No problems with the hip eventho I had to trudge down to the East end the 24th & 25th. due to Scubalife (I was told) shooting a reality show and had the entire West end blocked off. Wasn't real happy about it.....not nearly as good as the West end plus dive classes but at least I was diving. Got surprised by a huge Stingray....had to have been at least 4' across. Got a pic but by the time I had recovered, he was a bit too far away.

I was sore the next day or two but just shoulder area from being out of shape. See doc tomorrow and I'll ask about regular exercises.