Bilateral knee replacement and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lunula

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am facing bilateral knee replacement later this year. I am 43 and healthy (other than my knees) - just severe osteoarthritis brought on by multiple injuries over 2.5 decades.

Anyone here gone diving after total knee replacement? I was wondering if the increased pressure at depth might cause issues? We had to cancel our trip this November due to my impending surgery - but was hoping I could resume diving in 2015.

Would love to hear from anyone who has gone through this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As long as you Dr. says you are cleared to dive, you should have no issues with the new knees. I have had total knee and hip replacements and the only thing I noticed was that I could dive easier and longer without the pain of degenerated joints. Good luck and get back to diving as soon as your knees are healed and you are cleared. My arthropod told me to get diving as soon as I felt up to it as it is great exercise on the knees. You might want to don/doff your bc/tank/weights in the water until your knee is strong enough to climb the ladder with the extra load.

I was wondering if the increased pressure at depth might cause issues?

Hi lunula,

Provided that the prosthetics themselves & the replacement procedures have introduced no air filled cavities, which they definitely should not have, the pressure changes inherent in diving are not of concern as far as the knees go.

The following recent & extensive thread from our Diving Medicine forum is very informative --> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/477744-knee-replacement.html .

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom