Bulging disc L-5 and sciatic nerve issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MG11

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone tried diving with this?

Was thinking about checking with dive op about possibilities of putting on and taking off gear in water if calm seas. Not to sure about getting left fin on and off easily.

Mike, depressed over possible non-diving vacation.

For a sciatic nerve problem, a really good acupuncturist will help. Not so sure about the L5 disc...

If it is out and with constant pain, then forget about swimming, let alone diving!.....
Water differences temperatures will be a killing and FYI tropical water will not be warm enough.

Trying a Dry Suit is your only option (and that is if you must go swimming/diving)

Yes I've dived with exactly this (in addition to my Ankylosing Spondylitis).

Get a good PT who specializes in your condition. Mine gave me exercises that compress the bulged side of the disk so that I can re-balance it. Worked very well for me.

For diving I definitely suggest you dive with an op that will accommodate things by helping you on and off the boat. You definitely want to ditch your gear in the water and get it pulled in.

Your biggest risk will be getting up from a sitting position with all your gear on, so don't be all manly - get someone to help you stand up. Or learn to don your gear in the water and just have them hand it to you.

Diving itself very much helps my back (and other conditions) overall. I definitely recommend doing it if you do it smart.

For me, I have found that a bulging disc can be helped with muscle building in the surrounding area. Scuba diving may be perfect for that. However, when it comes to carrying and wearing heavy gear, standing and sitting in gear, and walking long distances with gear on, you can blow a disc. I have blown L-3, 4, and 5 and have subsequently had them removed in two operations 20 years apart. My L-3 and 2 are bulged and I have to be very careful with them. I put much of my gear on with help in the water and I need someone else to put my boots and fins on.

Seek medical advice from a good doctor who may understand the demands of diving. Blown discs are no fun at all.

I also have my C-5, 6, and 7 fused with part of my hip bone and a titanium plate. That accident resulted in partial paralysis of my right hand and a worse situation with my left hand and arm. That requires more assistance with getting into my gear, particularly with putting gloves on and handling weights.
All in all, while certain aspects of diving are difficult for me, I stay within my limitations.

Again, I suggest conferring with a qualified doctor, seek assistance while diving when needed, and stay within your limitations. Also, an elastic back brace works wonders for me, both in and out of the water.

I have to agree with those above who suggested you seek medical advice. I had a bulged disk a number of years ago that was noticeable but not very painful. This lasted several weeks until it apparently bulged further and put more pressure on the sciatic nerve. After that happened, I couldn't even walk without severe pain and had to have surgery. My point is that had that disk bulged further while I was diving, I would have had a real problem getting out of the water. Good luck.

Thanks guys, just finished the chiropractic route and seeing an Orthopedic doc on the 5th.

Mike

If all you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail. Orthopods are surgeons, and surgeons like to cut. Surgery should be the last option.

X-rays and other images of the spine can be misleading. There are images of backs that any physician would say, "That guy must be in terrible pain" and the patient says, "Pain? Why? I don't feel any pain." In other cases, the images show no sign of any problem, and the patient says "Do something. The pain is killing me."

Physical therapy is the first option. Often that suffices. Try it before submitting to surgery.

Ricky B, as a former surgeon, I object to that characterization. I loved to operate, but was never happier than when I could tell a patient there was a nonoperative strategy we could use instead, and I think most orthopods are similar. There is good literature to say that proper patient selection results in much better outcomes from back surgery; the days of operating on all comers are well behind us.

To the OP: Find out if you can be approved for PT and/or a yoga program. I have found that improving core strength and flexibility has reduced my disc-related back pain to almost zero over the course of a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom