Minimizing back pain and further damage while diving...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rereak

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi. I am new to the forum, but not to diving. I have chronic pain and inflammation in my lower back that was recently aggrivated by a bad car crash and resulting whiplash. My latest MRI, pre-crash, shows disc buldges at L4-L5-S1. Now I am experiencing both muscle spasms, and radiating nerve pain with certain movements and positions.
I am headed to Roatan in two weeks. I'm determined not to let this stop me, however, I'm concerned about minimizing the pain in my lower back while moving through the water. Are there fins that are made to help put the force into knees instead of hips?? (I know that sounds backwards, but it would help me!) Or are there fins that will be best on the unstable lumbar spine? The more stable my pelvis is the less pain I experience. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

My only suggestion is, go slow, relax float along looking for fishies.

I will also note that I am 5'7" and I find the standard AL80s a bit long and they hit me in the upper rear. My usual tank is a shorter HP100 and that seems to rest much better on my back.

You can also take the tanks on and off in the water. If you were a weight belt make sure it goes on last and comes off first.

Probably won't help in your situation since I dive dry, but I make sure my 20# belt rides at hip level and not my low back. My back gets stiff if the belt is in my low back and I'm horizontal. The only way I have found to keep the belt at the hips is with suspenders and a crotch strap, weights dump individually.

Also try a frog kick instead of flutter.

My advice: Make sure you have more than enough wetsuit. If you are cold and tired and working, you are much more likely to get a cramp in your back. Wear a 3 mm hood. Number two, buy a rubber freedive weightbelt, you can shift this to different locations on your back, even across your butt and this can make a big difference. Third: Tip the hell out of the mate and tell them you want them to lift the tank out of the water for you. THEIR back will thank you for not putting all the lead in a weight integrated BC.

As for the fins,, not sure.. take it easy..

Reactions: RJP
Dive Rite XT fins will probably help, mainly by going to a modified breast stroke kick. Going to sidemount will really save you though, I would highly recommend trying sidemount asap as it takes the strain off of your back.

What I've done to reduce the strain on lower back are,

- Have more than enough wetsuit like dumpster said, specifically to act as a brace for your back.
- Sidemount, and have them hand your tank both down to the water (hop in with everything else on), and hand up before you enter the boat.
- Definitely frog kick to put all the work into your knees instead of hips. I have short fins too, to not completely kill my knees.
- Keep good trim at all times so you're not tempted to bend your back. Just keep it still and straight the whole time, and don't make any sudden movements.
- Sit down and take your time when you're putting on and taking off your gear, because you need to be conscious of every movement you make.

Good luck.

I've never worn one diving, but you might consider a motorcycle kidney belt. Easy on, easy off, easy to pack. Provides lower back stability as it acts like a brace. Should help to keep things aligned and help avoid further injury. Lots of different styles, all highly adjustable. Just make sure its comfortable and doesn't interfere with your breathing. Wore them for many many years while both dirt and street riding and they flat out work.

I've never worn one diving, but you might consider a motorcycle kidney belt. Easy on, easy off, easy to pack. Provides lower back stability as it acts like a brace. Should help to keep things aligned and help avoid further injury. Lots of different styles, all highly adjustable. Just make sure its comfortable and doesn't interfere with your breathing. Wore them for many many years while both dirt and street riding and they flat out work.

Last dives I did I wore my neoprene SacroIliac belt. Didn't notice it while diving, but my back (really my SI joint) was much happier afterwards.

It sounds as though using the cave diver's trim, with the flat body and bent knees, might help you in the water. From there, all the propulsive force of the mod flutter is generated from the knees and ankles, and doesn't involve the hips or pelvis at all.

I have sort of chronic, off and on problems with my low back, aggravated by riding horses. With the exception of the first few dives I did with a weight-integrated BC, and my first few scooter dives (until I learned to puff up my feet), I haven't had much trouble WHILE diving. It's moving the gear around, and moving around on land IN the gear, that causes me trouble.

Are you diving a weight-integrated BCD or a BCD and separate weight belt? I have a similar condition, which continues to deteriorate, but have always dived with a weight belt (carrying between 14-18 pounds, depending on wet suit - 3mm versus 5mm; and personal weight management). Recently, on the advice of a very wise dive shop owner, this dinosaur who will never go weight-integrated, at least has decided to move a portion of the weight up into trim pockets on my tank strap, which has helped tremendously in both form and pain management. I found that having all the weight in a belt created a pivot point for my body, just where I didn't need it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom