HSA Buddy Training in Los Angeles/San Francisco area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nami

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to locate training in the Los Angeles/San Francisco area. First the Buddy program and hopefully in the future, HSA DM certification. Those cities would be an ideal venue since I travel there on business once in a while from Chile, and the ocean has similar conditions as at home. Next trip: Jan 28 to Feb. 8.
Anyone know whom I could contact?
Thanks!​

I or any HSA Certified Instructor can teach the buddy course. I am in the Los Angeles area. You really need 3 people to do the class with 6 being better. In the pool the work is in pairs, in the ocean we deploy in a formation of 3 divers. This is a full 3 days of training from early (0800) to late (10:00 pm is common) for 2 days with the 3rd day being ocean work. I like to add a 4th day with actual people with disabilities. I am thinking about having a class in May.

Closer to home there are instructors in Brazil and Honduras Handicap Scuba Association Will get you in touch with instructors there. There will also be a trip to Bonaire and Israel this year and you might get trained there. IF you are looking at being a DM I would say wait and just do the class once.

Pasley, thank you very much for the explanation and description of the program length. Please let me know if you are going to do a class in May since around that time I might fly up to CA again and will take the appropiate time off. I will also get in touch with HSA to find out about instructors in Brazil (although going through the training in Portuguese will be an additional challenge).

One more question: Since I am already a DM, can I still just train for the dive buddy program or does it make more sense to train as HSA DM?...is there a difference?

Gracias, Nami

You want to take the DM/Instructor course and NOT take the dive buddy course. The classes are the same lenght and you might as well do it once.

Back
Top Bottom