Hip Transplant Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herbdb

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had a double hip replacement about 8 years ago. After completing my Physical Therapy, I was told to avoid undue stress for 6 mos. What does you Doc say?

As far as BHB, have a buddy drag your gear into shallow water and don it there. Less stress than walking.

I am well past the initial recovery, and I still have some pain in my hips, particularly the left one. I don't let it stop me from diving. Boat dives are easy. I have some difficulty with rough shore entries on Bonaire, but just get my buddy to help me stay balanced.

Thanks for your input. As for the doc said (who was actually the surgeon this visit) "throw your cane away in 2 weeks" meaning I wouldn't need it anymore. This was his reply to my question....'hey doc, why am I still having to use this thing?' I did not ask him about diving this visit because I obviously can't dive using a cane. They did do an xray and he seemed satified with it.

I have asked his partner who is also a orthropedic surgeon in past visits about diving in July and her answer was maybe.

Tomorrow makes 8 weeks and July 25th is 12 weeks (3 months). My next visit isn't until Aug. 8th which will be week 14. I guess 2 more weeks doesn't seem all that long but I see the summer slipping away. And on top of that, I really don't expect a straight answer from the doc.

As far as a boat dive vs. a shore dive at BHB....the Atlantic might be slick cam or it might be 4-6' making it hell to get back on a boat. Won't have that problem at the bridge, just the walk to the water.

In any case, I have 4 more weeks until I wanted to dive so, maybe.

12 years since my double hip replacements and now diving caves. but dragging my self in and out of the various springs I still have to be aware of my hip precautions..

Its great once you get in the water. At my age, the only time nothing hurts is when I am diving. :wink:

I use a Wheeleez Beach Cart to carry my gear to the water and put it on once in the water.
Have done this in fresh or ocean entry.
Boats, depending on the circumstances, I either sit at the edge of the entry and have the
dive master assist with the gear or I've put it on in the water depending on the waves.
Getting back on board, I'll pass my weights to the dive master and claim on board with their
help or take the gear off in the water and they lift it on board.
Gotten over how it looks...last dive in Bermuda the dive master said your a "rock star."

I had a hip replacement in 2003 and also have some back problems. I am able to walk with the gear on, but need help getting up off the seat. I rarely climb back on board with my gear on--only if it's a really good ladder. I just take it off in the water and hand it up.

I did a workshop with a TDI course director who mentioned this. His answer was to go sidemount! I am looking into it for next season. My knees, hips, and lower back are encouraging me to do it sooner!:D

You put on the harness and get in the water. Then clip on the tanks or tank. Reverse getting out. On shore you set them in the shallows. On a boat they hand tank to you and you hand it to them before getting out.

I cannot answer your question exactly but I feel your pain, sorry for hearing and hope you get better. Two years after cracking my hip socket, breaking my femur in two places and a minor stroke as a result from a bull dogs attack while on my bicycle, all is well. It was six month before I could dive again though I was back on my bicycle in about three. I canceled a trip to Bonair because of the inability to walk in gear. Now, almost exactly two years later, I still sometimes limp, have no real limitations that other people my age have not had for two decades already but I have a permanent reduction in capability. My swim and bike times are longer and I can no longer run.

So, will you get better, yes, do your PT and do your workouts and if you do not meet BMI then lose enough weight to meet BMI. Go slow and build and to some extent, some of the pain may never go away. But, then, some limitations are in the head, I would rather hurt than be dead.

N

UPDATE: I dove the bridge the 23rd, 24th and 26th. No problems with the hip eventho I had to trudge down to the East end the 24th & 25th. due to Scubalife (I was told) shooting a reality show and had the entire West end blocked off. Wasn't real happy about it.....not nearly as good as the West end plus dive classes but at least I was diving. Got surprised by a huge Stingray....had to have been at least 4' across. Got a pic but by the time I had recovered, he was a bit too far away.

I was sore the next day or two but just shoulder area from being out of shape. See doc tomorrow and I'll ask about regular exercises.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom