rbk amputee starting to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommyciv

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I plan to start my dive training in November to become an instructor. I am a right below knee amputee just wondering what suspension system other amputees use when diving. I have a vacuum seal on my prosthetic now but I have a pin suspension leg as well. I like the vacuum seal better but im worried my dive leg will eventually fill with water and slip off. I am also at a toss up between the adaptive sports ankle with the ottobock water foot, or the freestyle innovations swim foot. what are the pros and cons to these feet if you have used them?

I'm not an amputee but I am a disabled diver also working on becoming an instructor. I just wanted to post and wish you the best.

Obviously I'm late to this thread. I'm a prosthetist who dives and has built several dive legs. I recommend the freestyle foot over the active ankle. The active ankle is pretty fragile. As for suspension I use a waterproof sealing pin system with external knee sleeve for auction. This set up stays dry inside and suspends well in water.

I got a leg made and had difficulty keeping it on during my dive. It was a vacuum seal with a sleeve as well. I have an extra pin leg so I put the foot on that but haven't tried it yet. I don't think mine will stay dry inside though, what makes yours water proof?

I use a regular pin suspension leg with a Rampro Swim Ankle. When teaching in the pool I leave the ankle unlocked and it works well. In open water I lock it in the swim position and it works better. The biggest downside is walking around the dive boat or site my swim leg is about as stiff as a peg leg.

I got a leg made and had difficulty keeping it on during my dive. It was a vacuum seal with a sleeve as well. I have an extra pin leg so I put the foot on that but haven't tried it yet. I don't think mine will stay dry inside though, what makes yours water proof?

With any sort of elevated suction the idea is to keep outside air from getting in between the knee sleeve and The liner. In underwater condition I generally advise pulling the sealing sleeve up over the top of the inner liner so that it also seals against the skin. This prevents intrusion of water between the inner liner and a leg.

I use a suspension sleeve (need to check the brand).
I put KISS (Keep It Simple Suspension) straps (basically a velcro cinch strap) at the top and bottom of the sleeve. I do this so when I jump in the water it doesn't roll the bottom of my sleeve up and when I'm using a DPV the water doesn't roll the top of my sleeve down. I do both based on prior experience of it happening. This was the simplest solution.

I also roll my liner over on itself so the silicon is exposed so I get gel on gel versus gel on fabric with the suspension sleeve. Also makes for a better seal. I actually do this all the time, not just in the water. Unfortunately, water still managed to find a way in, either from a small hole in my suspension sleeve or a bad one-way expulsion valve. Usually the sleeve though.

I've used the Active Ankle, the Freedom Foot, and I have a Swim Again ankle that I refuse to take in the water because I was able to break it while figuring out how to point the foot down. If you wear boots with your fins, I can't think of a good way to make the Active Ankle or the Swim Again work, since the boot comes up over the part you have to manipulate. The Freedom have a button. You push it, it disengages the joint and drops down. It's simple and not overly complicated. It's not perfect though. The rubber boot eventually started to loose its seal and if you do walk in dives you'll more than likely end up with sand in there and have to clean it out. This is also why I wear boots as it helps keep sand from getting into my foot shell.
However, I did a 5-hour hike in Kosrae this weekend wearing my swim leg with the Freedom and had no problems at all, despite it not really being intended for that sort of activity.

I stopped wearing a pin leg and a vacuum (OSSUR Seal In with soft inner socket) leg a long time ago as neither worked very well for me. YMMV.

Hope this helps.

I am an RBK amputee diver as well. My setup for the past few years has been an elevated vacuum system. When gearing up to get in the water, I swap the foot module out to a cheap SACH foot and a Rampro swimankle - I remove the enite assembly where it attached to the socket, and replace with the dive leg. If diving skin (no wetsuit) I add a second sleeve over the primary sleeve to cushion it somewhat - I've been through a lot of sleeves diving over the past few years. The swim ankle has held up for me now for 3 years but really want a Freestyle foot.

The primary sleeve has to be in contact with skin, about 2" at least. If I feel I need a little more vacuum in between dives, a simple brake bleeder allows to pull a tight vacuum and off I go.

How do you attach the brake bleeder to your socket?
I usually get water in my socket during a dive. Haven't been able to figure out if it's a small hole in my sleeve or the expulsion valve.

I have my socket somewhat different than most. Instead of the normal plastic attachment for the hose on the socket, mine is the right angle stainless, sealed with epoxy for extra reliability. I use chemical tubing from work (exceptionally durable) and special check valves. Once the leg is on and a vacuum established, I disconnect the hose from the pump module. When the dive leg is attached to the socket, the hose hangs down. The brake bleeder I bought had a set of connection pieces. One is a cone that fits the larger hose from the brake bleeder to the smaller hose on the leg. Just jam it in.

Back
Top Bottom