question about a pressure in tooth upon ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikodeepdiver

Registered
Reaction score
hi everyone,

i have recently had a few dives where upon ascent i start feeling built up pressure in a tooth, like my tooth and head are going to explode. i cant get rid of it and finally i just suck it up and surface where for about 3 hours im in SERIOUS pain. im freaking out as i went to a dentist and he sees no decay of nerve damage. finally it releases and the pressure releases out the back of the tooth through the sinus, not out of the front, indicating a filling problem...any ideas?
thanks
niko

Welcome to the board!
Check out the dive medicine forum. There is a diving dentist on there that gives great advice.

Joe

sounds like there is some air trapped in your cavity while you ascend. have em checked by your dentist.

Yeah. This was discussed in my OW course. Some dentists are sloppy and leave some air in the tooth when putting in a filling. Some air will get in during the dive and expand when you go up. The bigger problem is when the hole is blocked and on descent the filling will just cave in. Can you say OUCH?

You don't give you age, but then - since you're an Instructor, I guess you're old enough to have deeper dental problems. Sorry your dentist hasn't found it. May have to try a new one. The only way it will get better on its own would be to lose the tooth. :11:

BTW, be sue to sign up for our Instructors only forum.

:cowboy2: don

A few suggestions I do like to offer every new member. First, it's good to keep your Profile with location and Dive Info with number of dives up to date so other members can address any questions appropriately; edit these as possibly needed from your UserCP above or the Quick Links above.

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

Not a DDS and I didn't stay at Holiday Inn last night but there is a chance that the root of that tooth ( Im guessing it is an upper) is very long and intrudes into a sinus cavity. It happens.

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom