Practicing medicine overseas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know how I can find out about practicing medicine in other countries besides the US? We're thinking of moving somewhere overseas (number one requirement is awesome diving, number two would be has horse shows or an easy flight to the US for horse shows) Are there any physicians out there practicing overseas or in the carribean that can help me? I am a DO (osteopathic) and will complete my family practice residency in 2004. Also, am looking for a dive medical clinic to do a month rotation for an elective if anyone knows of a clinic I can contact. Thanks in advance! Tracy

I wouldn't be too concerned re the difficulties of practicing medicine overseas because, since the advent of (mis)managed care, physicians haven't been allowed to practice her in the states. No primitive tools, bureaucratic red tape, or germ-infested facilities could possibly be more restrictive or iaterogenic than managed care methods which insurance companies and Medicare have established here in the states.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it might be easier to obtain the appropriate licenses to practice medicine outside of the States in other US-held territories, such as the US Virgin Islands.

AllenG once bubbled...
No primitive tools, bureaucratic red tape, or germ-infested facilities could possibly be more restrictive or iatrogenic than managed care methods which insurance companies and Medicare have established here in the states.

If you can cope with the weather the diving in the UK can be superb, but be prepared for a culture shock! No coral reefs but so much else. If you want an example of restrictions on practice, however, the NHS here leaves HMOs standing. The only professionals who appear to be doing well are osteopaths and other "professions allied to medicine", who practice entirely privately. So it may suit you Tracy.

Plenty of horses here too!

Not many diving clinics though.

I'd love the horses but not much into cold,rainy cloudy weather. We didn't like Tacoma,Wa at all. Plus, they're getting rid of foxhunting! What a bummer, I love foxhunting, or did before I hurt my neck. Still go to watch and have someone else ride my horse. Thanks anyway though. Someday plan to go visit and look for a new labrador and/or norfolk terrier.

Although looking into US Territories was my suggestion, I don't personally know much about them. Another warm sunny US territory is Puerto Rico. There are others too, I think. I definitely don't know what the policies are in terms of professional licensing. I'm just guessing that US licensed doctors could probably practice in the territories without as much hassle as it would take to practice in another country.

Don't forget about American Samoa. Warm weather and great diving all over the area. You would need to travel for horse shows though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom