Diving after ear infections

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otter-cat

Reaction score
Last week I was on a dive trip that lasted 4 days. I subsequently developed an ear infection, or maybe two (depending on how you define it). One is in the ear canal, which is being treated with eardrops (NEO/POLY/HC 1% OTIC SUS.) The other is an inner (middle?) ear infection, which is being treated with an antibiotic (SMZ/TMP DS 800-160 TAB.) Both are in the same ear.

I began taking the medications on June 25 (two days ago.) The symptoms of the canal infection have cleared up dramatically (instead of being swollen and tender, my ear canal just feels a little itchy occasionally, and even that is subsiding rapidly.) The symtoms of the middle ear infection have improved as well, although I still experience slight pain intermittently, and had about 30 seconds of tinnitus (sp?) this afternoon.

If I am no longer experiencing symptoms this weekend, would it be safe to dive? I am trying to finish my divemaster certification, and will not have another chance for at least a month. If I do dive, should I just stick to shallower depths, or am I OK to go deeper if I have no trouble equalizing my ears or other ear pain?

Also, I saw earplugs that are called Doc's Pro Plugs that are supposed to be appropriate for scuba. Do you know about them and are they safe to use? I was wondering if I should try them because they should keep water out of my ears and still allow me to equalize, if the info on their package is correct.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to address my questions! I really appreciate it.

otter-cat

Originally posted by otter-cat
If I am no longer experiencing symptoms this weekend, would it be safe to dive?

Middle ear infections after diving are frequently related to middle ear barotrauma. A diver can return to diving after the cause of the barotrauma is no longer present (the cold gets better, allergies subside or are adequately treated, technique is improved, whatever), all symptoms resolve, the diver can easily autoinflate (equalize) their ears at the surface, and their otoscopic exam returns to normal. It wouldn't be unusual for this process to take a couple of weeks, but it can happen faster.

You can read more about returning to diving after ear canal infections (otitis externa) at:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t11298/s.html

If I do dive, should I just stick to shallower depths, or am I OK to go deeper if I have no trouble equalizing my ears or other ear pain?

The greatest relative pressure changes happen at shallower depths. IMHO, if a diver's problems with equalization have resolved and they can dive shallow, they can dive deeper.

Also, I saw earplugs that are called Doc's Pro Plugs that are supposed to be appropriate for scuba. Do you know about them and are they safe to use? I was wondering if I should try them because they should keep water out of my ears and still allow me to equalize, if the info on their package is correct.

Yeah, when the vented plugs are used properly they're probably safe to use when diving, and there are anecdotal reports that they help with equalizing. The ear plugs have to be the vented kind when diving so you can equalize the pressure in the airspace between the earplug and the eardrum. They don't (can't, shouldn't) keep water out.

You can read more about Doc's Proplugs at:

http://www.proplugs.com/

HTH,

Bill

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

It's been a month since I was given the initial medications indicated in my original post in this thread. The infection in my ear canal has cleared up nicely.

After I completed the antibiotics for the middle ear infection, which initally seemed to clear up the problem, I began to have some ear pain again. I went to my doctor, who said "there is a good cone of light, but not exactly where it should be" and that the eardrum didn't move as much in my infected ear as in my good ear when she sent little puffs of air in my ears with her scope (otoscope?) I think she also said that the eardrum looked a little red at the edge.

She prescribed a 10-day course of Amoxicillin (500mg capsule three times a day.) Although the Amoxicillin helped with the pain, my ear never felt totally "right." I finished the Amoxicillin the day before yesterday, and am now experiencing ear pain again.

I am going to see my doctor again about this in the next couple of days (as soon as I can get an appointment.) Are there any diving-related considerations I should mention to my doctor? She is a fantastic physician, but is not especially knowledgeable with regard to diving medicine.

I desperately want to dive again, but I obviously can't while I am still experiencing ear problems. Is there anything that I should ask her to look at/check for that might help in finding the cause/solution for my continued ear pain? Even after the pain goes away, I want to have my ears checked before I dive again, so that I don't risk injury.

Any info you can pass on about this subject is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot for reading this and taking the time to respond!

otter-cat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom