Ear severe pain and discharge after dive. Any ideas??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost.Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Went to the doctor a couple years ago for an sinus/ear concern before diving, I was politely told that my sinus are "f*&k'd up" by the nurse who than proceeded to flush my ears out.

Ever since I have started diving, I've always had to take some form if antihistimin (sp) before diving.

Yesterday, I didnt. Dive wasnt that deep; max depth was about 20'. On the way down the first time, I had a problem equalizing, tried all the methods I could but still couldnt get my left ear to clear. Then I pulled on my ear lobe. OH BOY!! That was a feeling I'll never forget. felt/heard something go POP. Got a severe case of vertigo. After I got a hold of myself, everything was ok.

When we got out, I really didnt experience any more pain than usual with water still in my ears. About 2 hours later, I was in some God awful pain. Tried Swimmers Ear and a wax removal stuff (got a history of wax buildup). No wax flushed out. Still in pain 24 hrs later. with a yellow/orange tinted discharge from ear. I can hear out of that ear but it is muted.

I know that it's not possible to diagnose this over the 'puter, so what I am looking for is someone who has had similar problems, know about it etc. Ruptured ear drum? Infection?(most likely?)

Howdy TxDeepDiver:

Sorry about your trouble. Difficulty clearing associated with a sudden "release" and then vertigo is very suggestive of a ruptured eardrum. As the pressure builds on descent, a diver who can't equalize begins to get uncomfortable, but when the eardrum ruptures the pressure is released and the diver might feel fine. But if water enters the middle ear, the balance mechanism of the ear on that side is stimulated and the diver suffers vertigo briefly until the water warms up to body temperature. Pain at the time of the injury and shortly thereafter is frequently mild (or even absent), but can become severe later on. Rupture of the eardrum is sometimes associated with a discharge of fluid from the ear, and is usually associated with decreased hearing. Divers who suspect a perforated eardrum should avoid putting anything in their ear and should seek prompt medical attention.

The fact that you were diving shallow is no consolation. As I'm sure you're aware, the greatest relative pressure changes occur at shallower depths. You can rupture an eardrum in as little as 5 feet of water and most cases occur in 30 feet or less.

There are other less likely causes of similar symptoms. For example, an ear canal infection is quite painful and can be associated with a discharge from the ear. If the ear canal is completely obstructed it can cause unequal pressures in the middle ears and vertigo. But typically the symptoms wouldn't become severe as soon as 2 hours after a single dive.

In any event, divers who suspect significant ear problems after diving should seek prompt medical attention.

Good luck,

Bill

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom