Diving while pregnant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikodeepdiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am wondering what the latest info is on diving while pregnant? Until what stage of the pregnancy, if at all?

Any info would be appreciated!

Niko420:
Hi everyone,

I am wondering what the latest info is on diving while pregnant? Until what stage of the pregnancy, if at all?

Any info would be appreciated!

The subject has been covered quite extensively in the past and I think the recommendation is not. It's not just you being subjected to the pressure and laws of physics.

Even if you dove and nothing happened to your fetus......then, later something happened that wasn't intentional (like diving), you would always wonder if it was your fault. Why risk it? I REALLY REALLY wanted to dive when I was pregnant, but didn't. You can wait 9 months for the health of a child!

Hi Niko

The Green Maneleshi is correct. Diving while pregnant is a big no! There is no data as yet on the affect of diving while pregnant so the advice is not to. If you have any further questions they should be directed toward a diving physician.

Take care

There's still way too much speculation and disagreement in the scientific community about the risks of diving during pregnancy, which is the same as saying "We don't really know". In this case, it's safe to err in the side of caution. Good luck

Diving while your wife is pregnant can be extremely dangerous. Worse than coming home drunk.

The conventional wisdom is why risk it?

Most instructors will tell you not to dive simply to avoid the liability. I know I would.

However, if you happen to find out that you are pregnant after a 2 week liveaboard trip with 60 dives you and the baby are most likely going to be OK.

Think about it, the fetus is fully submerged in liquid and therefore is not compressible.

Nitrogen goes in and out mom everyday without any issues. As long as mom does not get bent, the baby should have no issues either.

Excellent FAQ on Women's issues at DAN complete with background studies:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.com/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=103

WetDawg:
However, if you happen to find out that you are pregnant after a 2 week liveaboard trip with 60 dives you and the baby are most likely going to be OK.

Sounds like a fun liveaboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom