Deviated Septum surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryanc65

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Who on the board has had a deviated septum that they had surgically repaired?

How long were you told not to dive for after the surgery?

I was told about 8 weeks.

When you got back to diving, did you have any initial problems relating to the surgery?

Thanks
Ryan

Hi There,
I had this surgery several years ago and it was about 8 weeks before I was diving again. I had the best time with equalizing on the airplane and in the water that I ever had! The surgery was the best thing I ever did and helped tremendously. I had no precautions or restrictions.
Shelly

Had my deviated septum (busted nose) fixed many years ago, and IIRC two months out of the water seems about right. Had no problem with diving after the wait, and presume that would be the general outcome as long as it is only a deviated septum.

Mostly it reduced my snoring.

Thanks for the replies.

My wife just had the surgery done about a week ago. And we have a trip to Saba planned for late Feb. Our doc. said she should be fine by then.

Thanks again
Ryan

I had the surgery done 2 years ago. It was the best thing i could have done. I was out of the water for 8 weeks as well but since i had the surgery in Nov. it was not to hard to keep dry. Clearing is now very easy and the sinus and ear infections have happened only once since.

Good luck

ryanc65:
Who on the board has had a deviated septum that they had surgically repaired?

How long were you told not to dive for after the surgery?

I was told about 8 weeks.

When you got back to diving, did you have any initial problems relating to the surgery?

Thanks
Ryan

I had the surgery about 3 years ago. I was diving about 6 weeks after surgery... No problems... been diving ever since... and it seemed to help with clearing issues! Good Luck

Ken

I'm scheduled for 25 January, 2006, for a septoplasty and turbinate shave. There are lots of comments on these procedures from SB'ers. Do a search on "septoplasty".

Varied opinions on how long out of the water - 2-8 weeks seem average. Also, many differing experiences on the post surgery recovery; from very mild discomfort until the packing is removed, to very painful/nasty for weeks.

I'm hoping for the "no big deal".

G'luck to you.

rickyd:
I'm scheduled for 25 January, 2006, for a septoplasty and turbinate shave. There are lots of comments on these procedures from SB'ers. Do a search on "septoplasty".

Varied opinions on how long out of the water - 2-8 weeks seem average. Also, many differing experiences on the post surgery recovery; from very mild discomfort until the packing is removed, to very painful/nasty for weeks.

I'm hoping for the "no big deal".

G'luck to you.

There can be complications - Don't want to scare you... but here is what happened to me.

I had a deviated septum and polyps that needed removal. The surgery was done, the packing removed and I seemed to be recovering just fine. In the 2rd week of recovery (true story) I was outside bending over to pick up the dog mess when I felt a pop in my nose and suddenly blood began gushing from my nose like a faucet turned all the way open. I tilted my head back and the blood was gushing straight down the back of my throat. Being home alone I rushed inside and called 911... rushed by ambulance, about 2 hours later I was in for emergency surgery. It seems a major vessel (artery) up there ruptured due to a weakening of the wall. My doctors explained to me that this happens in a very small percentage of patients... Lucky me.

The good news is that 4 weeks after this... I was diving again. The major problem... FEAR. I had a little anxiety trying to get past the what if that thing ruptures again while I'm at 100 feet... or worse yet - when I'm on the shark dive. I kept imagining a shark swooping in and taking my head off...

Oh well... alls well that ends well... just thought I'd share my experience. In the end... now three years later... I'm pleased I went through with it.

ghostdiver1957:
There can be complications - Don't want to scare you... but here is what happened to me. . .

Thanks for sharing Ghost, and glad you recovered so well. I realize there is potential for complications in any surgery. Although, if I experienced what happened to you, I think I would have been gushing from more places than just my nose...!!!

I go in for pre-op in two weeks, and I'll be sure to ask about this one, in addition to all the other stuff that can go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom