Rental Wetsuit Sanitizer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dflybldr

Reaction score
I just completed my pool sessions for my OW cert and got quite a large number of red spots and pimples on the underside of my arms and on my sides. I assume it was from bacteria in the rental wetsuit, as I have worn wetsuits surfing all my life and never had this reaction. They kept appearing for a couple of days, but have started disapearing now.

My question is if there are any good sanitizers out there I can rinse the rental wetsuit in before I use it? I told the dive shop, the appologized, and siad they rinse tham as well.

I have a 3/2 full suit but will need to use a 7mm on my OW dive, and don't want to buy until next fall.

Thanks with the help on this "not so nice" subject.

Dflybldr

Only two kinds of divers in this world....

"Those who pee in their wetsuits, and those who lie about not doing it."

Seriously, several companies, like Trident, Sink-the-stink, Myzerine (spelling?)
make wetsuit cleaners. Your local dive shop should carry several brands.

problem is that you'd really need to soak it for a while and then rinse and let
it dry to "kill" anything, which might require an extra days rental cost.

A little bleach added to the water you soak it in would kill stuff too, but is
likely to fade the wetsuit badly, which they might not like.

Buy a long skin now. $50 and you'll use it with every suit, every dive, then wash yourself. :thumb:

Products like Trident Wetsuit Cleaner, MiraZyme Odor Eliminator & Sink-the-Stink are primarily designed to rid the suit of odors. As with Pinesol, Simple Green and kindred aromatic cleaning products, they will not be very effective against a broad range of bacteria, viruses & fungi.

If you wish to sanitize, then you'll want to look into products like SaniZide Plus, Virkon S, Advance TBE & Bi-Arrest 2.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom