Ear Problems While Diving.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've just been recently certified, and always have problems equalizing my ears while descending.

I don't have any ear infections, and or ear damage that I'm aware of. It just takes me a long time to get down to depth.

Is there any meds that I can take to lighten up and or get rid of this problem?

Does anyone have any experience with the Pro Ear 200 mask?
It's here at www.proear2000.com and from what I read it's supposed to make equalizing very very easy. I know, don't believe everything you see, so thats why I'm asking.

Someone please help me! I have to dive!

:confused:

Hi Steve,

I am sure your problems will resolve with time and improved technique and perhaps a decongestant (see posts on sudafed).

I fear the claims made by the manufacturers of the Pro Ear mask may not live up to expectation. I am not sure how it can work unless it reduces the rate of pressure change on the outer ear (which a slow descent will acheive at no cost) but since it does not bypass the eustachian tube I am not really convinced that it can work in the way the manufacturers claim, or of its benefits.

I was promised one to test but it never arrived.

Before you invest in such a device might I suggest you familarise yourself with the anatomy of the middle ear and pharynxy and the mechanisms of "clearing the ears", particularly the role of the Eustachian tube?

Then you will see what I mean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom