"mono-vision" vs. standard Lasik?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harley1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
For those of us approaching (and past) age 40 and considering Lasik correction, how do you decide whether to have the mono-vision (1 eye corrected for presbyopia, which apparently we ALL get by age 45?) , or just the "standard" both eyes corrected for nearsightedness??

In that case I'd still need reading glasses (or drug-store magnifiers?) to read newspapers, manuals, and other close-up applications..

I understand that if you have the mono-vision done, the brain makes the necessary adjustments to adapt to this--but it sounds a bit bizarre and since I've had to wear corrective lenses (glasses/contacts) for over 25 years, I now feel ready to cast them all aside forever! So many people swear by their results, it seems like a "no brainer"..

Nevertheless, I'm interested to hear who had the mono-vision and why..and also how they have adjusted.

For the record, I do not have any signs of presbyopia (yet), and am also interested in personal references for a good Doctor in Southern California (LA / Orange Counties)

Thanks in advance.
HB

Most, but not all people suffer presbyopia. Also if you are myopic (nearsighted) then you may not even need reading glasses. Lasik is used to correct myopia more than any other ocular deficiency.

How do you think you would do with reading or performing close work using only one eye?

How does the idea of surgical correction strike you if it turns out you don't like the result?

Have you considered prescription lenses for your divemask?

Did you know that you can get "read under" mask lenses with only the upper part containing the prescription?

Did you know that there are magnifier lenses available which can be applied to your mask if you should need a reading lens in the future?

They really work well for me and my close vision really sucks bad

Joe

I tried using the monovision when I had contacts and had a difficult time with it. Depth of field was off. I gave it a shot for over a month and went back to my normal contacts. When I had the laser surgery I went with the adjusting both eyes for distance. I was surprised that my up close vision improved a small amount. But I still need to wear reading glasses if the light is dim or if I'm reading a lot, like a book at night.

Craig

They put you in "glasses" that are adjusted for mono. Once for each eye to see if you can tolerate it. Lots like me got vertigo. Had em both done for distance and I love it! I just have to hold books a little fasrther away now, which is good.

I looked at both and got straight Lasik. They can simulate monovision in the office (with eyeglasses) and let you try it out. I felt nauseus with the monovision and didn't think I'd be comfortable with it. Had my Lasik in June 2001 and still seeing better than 20/20 in both eyes. Need mild reading glasses (1.25X) but I was already wearing them with my old contacts so no biggie there.

'Slogger

I had my Lasik last October. The doctor used the Intralase method (one laser to cut the flap and the other to make the correction). I will be turning 50 the end of the year and have worn glasses since junior high. The first thing I did was toss the glasses, the second was to pull the corrective lenses out of my mask. I ended up with only having one eye done giving me monovision, one reading eye, one distance eye. It sounds strange, but now I am 20/20 on the distance stuff and can read the smallest print on the eye chart or prescription bottle. I have dove in the pool with my wife's open water class and can not wait to see how different it is in the Keys in July.

Duke

Harley1962:
For those of us approaching (and past) age 40 and considering Lasik correction, how do you decide whether to have the mono-vision (1 eye corrected for presbyopia, which apparently we ALL get by age 45?) , or just the "standard" both eyes corrected for nearsightedness??

In that case I'd still need reading glasses (or drug-store magnifiers?) to read newspapers, manuals, and other close-up applications..

I understand that if you have the mono-vision done, the brain makes the necessary adjustments to adapt to this--but it sounds a bit bizarre and since I've had to wear corrective lenses (glasses/contacts) for over 25 years, I now feel ready to cast them all aside forever! So many people swear by their results, it seems like a "no brainer"..

Nevertheless, I'm interested to hear who had the mono-vision and why..and also how they have adjusted.

For the record, I do not have any signs of presbyopia (yet), and am also interested in personal references for a good Doctor in Southern California (LA / Orange Counties)

Thanks in advance.
HB

I do the mono vision thing for diving only. I tried doing it all the time and found that everything looked a little blurry indoors and my night vision went into the toilet. I think my brain is uncoordinated and can't adjust. It insists on using both eyes all the time. :) Oh well, my bifocals work just fine above water, and underwater as long as I can see my gauges clearly enough to tell what direction I'm going and what my NDL and air pressure are, I'm golden. :)

They can put you in lenses that simulate what your vision would be like with monovision. I personally couldn't stand it. I got nauseus. Long story short I got regular LASIK in both eyes and am very satisfied.

'Slogger

I had Lasik about a year ago - bad astigmatism and near-sighted as a geriatric mole. (20/300 both eyes, -4.25 diopters) -

Instead of the intralase laser cutting the flap, mine used a blade, and I opted for the extra $$ and did the wavefront mapping route - and my doctor used this laser (here's an excerpt)

"The Bausch and Lomb excimer laser provides the latest in customized care. The innovative "flying spot" technology provides a smoother treatment resulting in less glare and haloing and more accurate surgery. Wavefront mapping technology used in combination with the Bausch and Lomb Zyoptix system provides your surgeon with information about your eyes that will be used to plan your completely individualized laser vision correction procedure. Even eye imperfections that could not be treated with conventional LASIK techniques are now being corrected with this personalized system. In addition, the Bausch and Lomb laser provides the latest in safety features including the Active Eye Tracking System, which follows the eye even if the patient moves. During the FDA approval trials, the outcomes for the Bausch and Lomb laser far exceeded all other laser in terms of achieving 20/20 visual acuity with the lowest percentage of side effects such as glare and halos."

I did both eyes in 15 minutes. Went in blind, went out 15 min later reading the license plates of cars in the parking lot across the street! Really amazing!

My recomendation would be to research the TYPE of lasers that they are using in your area, they're not all the same. I chose the Bausch and Lomb laser because statistically it was something like 96% had 20/20 vision after the initial surgery. (Which I gathered meant that there was a low incidence of needing repeat surgeries)..

Do your homework, check out the lasers, and my philosophy was NOT to pic the doctor that advertised doing "50,000, 75,000" procedures. I don't want the guy that does 20 a day, I wanted the guy that did 5-10 a day.

Two years later, I'm still 20/20 with no problems whatsoever.

Hope that helps ya some...

D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom