Diving After Bone Fractures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IndyScott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello Everybody,

It has been 4 weeks sense I fracture a bone in my hand. The doctor put me on a work restriction for five to ten pounds for four more weeks.
Is it now safe to dive or should I wait longer ?

The Doctor dose not think I have any bone problems and think the brake was just a unusually circumstance.

Thanks Scott :confused: :whiner:

I have just gotten back to diving after a very nasty ankle break. My surgeon said I could ease my way back into diving once I was weight bearing again. But it was actually 1.5 weeks in hospital, 8 weeks non-weight bearing and another 2 months before I had enough strength and range of movement to dive again. In the last month I have done 3 shore dives and 6 boat dives and find that I still struggle swimming against current, am more likely to get leg cramps (even in split fins) and am not as independant on shore rock wall or beach entries and exits.

I would be asking myself how you will cope putting your gear on/off and what type of entry/exit you will be attempting. Will you be pulling yourself up a ladder with your injured hand? If so, I would wait another couple of weeks personally.

But that is easy for me to say .... I am going diving tomorrow!!! :)

HI

My biggest problems is putting my drysuit on ;with latex seals for dry gloves. I think Its going to Hurt...!!!

Scott :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom