Bunion surgery?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpmermaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a recent escalation of pain, I can put it off no longer, according to the doctor. Specifically, a bunionectomy with an osteotomy is on the agenda.

1) Has anyone had this done?
2) How long were you out of the water?

My has doctor advised 6-8 weeks, depending upon how it goes -- that I should think of it as a broken bone.

My sister did it and she is glad, but it was tougher than she expected.

I had foot surgery last year... not as complicated as a bunionectomy, but a removal of some bone spurs surrounding the metatarsal joint (also trying to make some more space in an arthritic joint). The doctor said I could dive in 6 weeks, but I waited several months for the swelling to subside. Depending on how snug your booties and fins are, you may need to adjust.

Also, the entire recovery may take quite a while. I am still dealing with more joint pain than BEFORE the surgery, and my orthopedist friend says that he sometimes sees healing taking up to a full year post-surgery.

You will know when you feel like diving again. And I assure you, avoid rocky shore entries/exits... very rough with painful feet!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Jennifer

What is a bunionectomy? I know this deals with your feet, but what is it? Stupid ? I know...just curious.
K

sapphire:
Also, the entire recovery may take quite a while. I am still dealing with more joint pain than BEFORE the surgery, and my orthopedist friend says that he sometimes sees healing taking up to a full year post-surgery.

Actually, the Dr. also said something about healing -- that for any injury, most of it occurs within a short period, but that one is not really back to full speed for a full year. With minor things, we don't really notice, but with something like this...well, that's why I've been putting it off. Thanks for the best wishes...I am going to get in as much diving as I can before surgery.

Catherine, did your sister experience any complications, or was it just the procedure that was worse than she thought?

kelpmermaid:
My has doctor advised 6-8 weeks, depending upon how it goes -- that I should think of it as a broken bone.
Yeah, a broken bone with surgery & anesthisia chemicals. :11:
catherine96821:
My sister did it and she is glad, but it was tougher than she expected.
Yep, it is a tough one. Or it was for me in 1987. I'm sure they do much better work now, with better chemicals, so it won't be as bad as mine was - but don't push yourself.

After the healing, tho :thumb: much nicer.

Having foolishly accepted a pair of Heelies as a birthday present from my kids, I quickly fractured my fibula, so I now have a titanium plate and 7 screws in my ankle. I was of course anxious to get back in the water, so I tried to do some on-line research. Various websites (e.g. http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=43) give various advice about how long to wait, ranging from 6 weeks to 6 months. One danger they cite is that the healing tissues around the bone may react differently than normal tissues to nitrogen build-up, increasing the risk of the bends. Another danger is that the healing bone itself may develop necrosis due to nitrogen exposure. There's also the issue of making sure you have your full strength back. I think I waited about four months, and tried to dive conservatively at first. I still had some swelling and bruising at that point. Now that it's pretty much healed (after more than a year), I'd like to get the hardware taken out, but I'm having a hard time finding another four-month stretch in my calendar for another diveless spell.

Interesting post as I had bunion surgery on the 17th so 11 days into my recovery. I had other things done also including fussed big toe. I was told no weigh bearing for three weeks. Will be having a post op check on Monday.
Its not been a bad as I have heard, at least so far :) Just a little boring not being able to get around. I'm not real graceful on crutches.

Al

I had bunion surgery back in 2003; 6-8 weeks is about right. The worse part is being "grounded" for the 1st 3-4 weeks. Get your legs strong pre-op you'll need the strength post-op. Good luck, you'll like wearing shoes without pain! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom