The Scopolamine / Scop topic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daydee

Reaction score
Hi,

I get very seasick. The last time I dove, in January I was so sick and got soo weak. Luckily, I was still able to dive but, the divemaster had to hold my hand all throughout the dive because of my weakness. I am going diving again next month and have been researching on motion sickness medicines.

I have taken dramamine (less drowsy as well as original formula) in the past, but, I am wondering if anyone has ever taken something called "motion eaze" or scopolamine gel. Motion ease is a herbal treatment (oil) that you put behind your ears that is supposed to cure seasickness. Really interested in having an alternative to dramamine, I hate the way it makes me drowsy. I have tried other medicines including the electronic wrist watch, but, they do not work for me.

Anybody tried motion eaze or scopolamine gel?

thanks.
Daydee

Motion Eaze is a remedy concocted from herbs first reported in the Egyptian Ebers Papyrus. I have seen no good reports or studies as to it's effectiveness. It is a concentrated oil applied behind the ear. We also don't know what it's side effects are - as they are not discussed in their ads.

Scopolamine can be delivered through a transdermal patch (Transderm Scop), orally (Scopace), and as a gel(Transdermal Scopolamine Gel) applied to the wrists. The gel reportedly works faster, but not as long as the patch and possibly washes off prematurely. Scopolamine is the US Navy's first line sea sickness drug, including for divers, and DAN approves it after a trial to se what effects it might have on you personally.

The above drugs are prescription only and have reported side effects, most commonly dryness of the mouth and drowsiness. They may also cause blurred vision, dizziness and even confusion in some users, and it is recommended to carefully discuss their use with your physician, give them a trial run prior to use in conjunction with diving, and take them only according to instructions. Some have had to reduce dosages, change body positions of application for appropriate action.

Here are sites that might be helpful;
http://www.transdermscop.com/
http://www.scuba-doc.com/seask.html

By the way - it might not be wise to dive with the amount of 'weakness' that you have described. This could have been from dehydration - a known risk factor for a decompression accident.

Hi,

Thanks for answering my question. One last question. What about the 'artificial horizon' glasses? Have studies been done on this? I saw an ad for it in the web and I am interested to know if this can help me.

thanks again.
Daydee

Seasickness is a good example of a condition looking for a cure. Generally - in medicine the more treatments you have for a condition - the less effective they all are! (This is about like religion or arthritis, there are very many "true" religions and "cures" for arthritis, if it works for the individual.)

I have no experience with the artificial horizon - but suspect that it works with a certain number of people - just as the wrist bracelet, beating tom-toms and burning feathers would (placebo effect?) Staring at the horizon does help some people, as does sitting upright in the center of the boat.

I guess that the old saw "Whatever floats your boat" is quite apropos here.

Daydee,
There is a patch that you stick behind your ear a day or two before boating that is called Transderm-S. We use to find it around here, my husband is a basket case on boats,
We find the best thing is when you use an over the counter drug take it as directed and while you are on the boat going where ever make sure you have plenty of things to fill your time. The more involved the better. Setting up your equipment, setting up you dive computer, helping anyone else. Just keep yourself uptop and busy, it makes a difference if you can keep your mind off the water until your ready to dive into it. Goodluck.
Here is a website for the patch you can order on line, I don't know how long it takes to get it.
http://www.123rxdrugs.com/products_transderm_scop.htm

This may sound absolutely crazy but it's true! I used to get very seasick & tried several over-the-counter preventions. It seemed I ended up sleeping most of the time in between diving. For some unkown reason after two or three dive trips my seasickness stopped and it never returned! (Honest)! I hope you find the same!

regarding scopolamine patches - how well do those stay on during dives? has anyone tried putting something like tagaderm over them to keep them on?

Hey, Russ, good first question. I just picked-up my script for the trans-scope (scopace), after barfing my brains out in 6 foot seas. I wasn't even diving that trip, so couldn't escape it. Anyone with experience on how to keep the patch on. I just figured I put it in it's little package while in the water, sticking it back on once back in the boat.

russ said...
regarding scopolamine patches - how well do those stay on during dives? has anyone tried putting something like tagaderm over them to keep them on?

Howdy russ:

If you're asking about the Transderm Scop patches, they stick very well while diving if applied properly. They'll likely stick for the usual 3 days even with multiple dives per day. It would be wise to bring extra patches just in case something happens during the trip, though.

I doubt that using a dressing like Tegaderm over the patch would hurt, but I also doubt that it would help. I don't think you need to cover the patches, and since I don't have any information on using Tegaderm over the patches, I can't recommend it.

You can read the product information on Transderm Scop at:

http://www.transdermscop.com/site1/view-insert.html

HTH,

Bill

tampascott once bubbled...
I just picked-up my script for the trans-scope (scopace), after barfing my brains out in 6 foot seas. I wasn't even diving that trip, so couldn't escape it. Anyone with experience on how to keep the patch on. I just figured I put it in it's little package while in the water, sticking it back on once back in the boat.

Very bad plan, Scott. If you really have Scopace, it is a pill and is designed to be swallowed and not stuck on your skin. It will dissolve quickly after you swallow it, so I would not advise trying to retrieve it before your dives to put it back in its package. You can read the Scopace product information at:

http://www.motionsickness.net/motion/prescrib.html

If you have the Transderm Scop patch, it is meant to be applied once and not removed and reused. If you were prescribed this product, you really need to to read the product information link that I gave to russ above.

If you have some other product, let us know.

HTH,

Bill

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

Never have dove with a scop patch, but I have with Nicoderm patches before. They stick very well underwater, just make sure to completely clean the area that you are going to attach them to beforehand. I would figure that the two patches are very similar in construction, and thus the scop patch would adhere nearly, if not as well as the nicoderm patches.

Back
Top Bottom