Dentures & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenjensheDiver

Registered
Reaction score
i'm new to diving, i was wondering if it's going to be a problem diving with my partial dentures that i have.i haven't been in class ,yet. i just thought that there has to be other divers who have come across this issue. i would appreciate any, and all feedback personal experiences about this situation. thanks

take care,
jenjenshediver

Hi Jen,

The primary concern with dentures, particularly partial dentures, is that the fixture could come lose and the diver choke on it. A secondary concern is that the dentures could make it difficult to hold the second stage mouthpiece in a secure and comfortable manner.

The diver with dentures may wish to explore a custom mouthpiece such as the SeaCURE http://www.seacure1.com/toc.htm. If one were to configure this device with the dentures removed, then aspiration would no longer be a worry.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I can tell you what I have done from my personal experiences - with no claims that my approach is a good one...!

(1) I use a lot of Polident the morning of the dives;

(2) And I use a Manta mouthpiece see it here to ensure my reg doesn't slip out.

(3) Then I warn other divers: "If you need air, grab my axillary second stage, purge and breath! You don't need to signal me, as I'll understand. Just don't try to grab the one in my mouth in panic, as it is not coming out!"

<edit> Got to thinking: I started with the Manta when I was missing several teeth on the bottom front - before the bridge, which made it very difficult to keep my reg in without holding in place with my hand. So, even if you leave the bridge out, I think you'll find it helpful.

Hint: Bend the wings back to inset in your mouth. I've heard of divers using these with the wings out, which defeats the idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom