Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Possible tooth fracture under crown

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99

Possible tooth fracture under crown

I just read a most disturbing post on another thread:

"The other situation is a tooth that has a root canal and a crown. When there is an underlying fracture within the tooth, it is possible for air to get into the tooth, get trapped and then split the tooth."

Here is my situation. Last Friday I started feeling pain in the upper left side of my mouth. I have 2 crowns up there from root canals. (that are about 8 & 10 years old) I went to my regular dentist who saw no signs of infection on the X-ray. He told me to either see an endodontist for re-treat or an oral surgeon to have the tooth removed.

I saw the endodontist yesterday and he also said he did not see any infections but it is possible that a canal was missed during my initial root canal and it is just now bothering me. (huh?? after 8 years?) He also said it could be a crack in the tooth that is not visible on X-ray. The only way to know is to do the re-treat root canal and if it ends up being cracked I am S.O.L. because I will be out the $950 and I will have to have the tooth extracted.

There is also some debate about which tooth it is. He seems to think it is 15, but it's my mouth and I know where the pain is. I think it is 14.

He did not have any appointments available until May 3 or 4. I am leaving for Roatan on May 6. I was afraid to do it right before diving because what if something goes wrong? What if he does the wrong tooth? What if I have severe pain? What if what if what if. He said I should be ok to go diving and can make the appointment when I return.

I have been taking antibiotics for several days now and my pain is just about completely gone.

But now I fear my tooth will explode! Can anyone out there offer ANY advice?

Thanks.

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    I've lost two teeth that I think were due to air trapped under crowns. One of them (or at least the roots thereof, the crown is gone) still sits exposed in my jaw and has been that way for over two years with no noticeable problems. I will have to have the rest of it surgically removed at some point but it does not bother me.
    Dr. Bill: I once had a 6-pack but now I have a full keg... well, maybe just a pony!
    Dr. Bill: Not THAT kind of doctor... but I'll take a look at it anyway!

Kelp forest marine life images, DVD's for sale, and archived "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper columns
    Single or Buddyless? Check out SingleDivers.com or PM me!

Tech Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Have you conisidered that it could have been from a sinus squeeze? Two weeks ago I attempted a dive and got a sharp pain right through the center of my #2 molar. I had to thumb the dive as I couldn't get down past 5 feet. I have a pretty deep filling in that molar and thought that there might be some decay under filling. I did a search here on SB and found that Dr. Larry Stein (SB resident diving dentist) has posted regarding this issue. I had a cold the week before. I made a dive the week after and the squeeze was gone. Don't rule out that it could be an odd sinus squeeze.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Both dentist asked me about sinus problems. I have never had sinus problems and I really don't think it was that. The pain was constant, but it hurt most when I would bite down.

Today the pain has sort of shifted to the inside of my mouth...more towards the center of my mouth. And now strangely closer to #15. But at the same time, it is nowhere near as bad as it was a couple days ago. This is all so confusing to me and I am getting terrified to dive.

too long 'til Palau...way too
    long 'til Philippines

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    From my experience and what my dentist says, it's sometimes hard to tell from the feel exactly which tooth is causing a problem. Easy to be off by one (or more.)

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Ok...better safe than sorry I guess. I called the endodontist this morning and they had a cancellation for tomorrow morning. That is 3 weeks prior to my trip, so hopefully all will be well.

I will let you know.

And thanks to everyone for your advice!!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Well all is well. There was no crack or fracture. It was a missed canal from the first root canal 8 years ago. He said I probably would have been ok to wait until after my dive trip, but at least now it's over with. I have to go back in 2 weeks to get the permanent filling. He went through my existing crown, so I don't have to worry about getting a new one.