Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: ear tubes and diving???

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Question ear tubes and diving???

has anyone ever had ear tubes and returned to diving after they fell out/were removed? in theory it's possible; in practice ....

nearly four months ago i contracted twin middle ear infections. three courses of antibiotics and two bags of balloons later -- if you want to know about THAT, msg me privately , my head still feels like it's going to explode, i can't hear a thing, and everyone snaps at me to SPEAK UP!!

so next week i'm getting ear tubes. meaning no diving for awhile. there's no real downside, of course, since i can't dive now. but will i ever dive again? supposedly that depends on whether the tubes perforate the ear drums -- not uncommon, from what i read. if i understand what i read.

anyone have any better information?
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored -- Aldous Huxley

There are no facts, only interpretations -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Has not set a "status"

Ear tubes & scuba.+

Hi Divemistress,

Sounds most unpleasant.

Ear tubes, also known as ventilation, myringotomy and tympanostomy tubes, are commonly used in persons with complaints such as yours. They are designed to assist in relieving middle ear fluid and infection. A small incision is made in the ear drum and then the tube inserted.

Hopefully symptoms will decrease and hearing improve very soon after the procedure. A sample of fluid from the middle ear may be taken and examined for unwanted organisms.

Depending on the particulars of the case, the tubes may be left in place until they fall out on their own or the doctor may remove them. Provided that the ear drum heals appropriately, which is to be expected, there should be no issue in diving again.

Of course diving is out while the tubes are in place and until an ENT approves return to scuba.

Helpful?

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

NA

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by divemistress
    has anyone ever had ear tubes and returned to diving after they fell out/were removed? in theory it's possible; in practice ....

nearly four months ago i contracted twin middle ear infections. three courses of antibiotics and two bags of balloons later -- if you want to know about THAT, msg me privately , my head still feels like it's going to explode, i can't hear a thing, and everyone snaps at me to SPEAK UP!!

so next week i'm getting ear tubes. meaning no diving for awhile. there's no real downside, of course, since i can't dive now. but will i ever dive again? supposedly that depends on whether the tubes perforate the ear drums -- not uncommon, from what i read. if i understand what i read.

anyone have any better information?

I don't really know much. All I can say is my son had tubes in his ears. They fell out and now he dives. He has absolutely no problems whatsoever with his ears and he has been diving for a few years now.
    Last edited by Missdirected; May 3rd, 2006 at 12:12 PM.

Defender!

confused by this new board

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    No experience with tubes, but just want to wish you luck. I can identify with the ear problems. But I consider myself lucky. After an ear infection and clogged ears and not being able to hear for almost a month, I think my ears are finally better. I have a follow up visit to my ENT on Sat. I wish you luck!!
    Donald Trump being sworn in as President would be a great last scene in a Planet of the Apes remake. -- Andy Borowitz

Divemaster
    Badge

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    For what it is worth....

I don't let my young son dive because through the course of his ear history, he lost some hearing. I am too worried that he could lose more by diving. Maybe I am being hypervigilant but I don't want to risk it. If he opts for it when he is older, that will be okay. I am not convinced he would be prudent if he had ear pain down there...he is a bit "insensate" from what I observe at the skateboard park.

He cries and begs me all the time....I just do not think it is a wise idea for a twelve year old boy who does not seem tuned into subtle pain.
    "A really efficient totalitarian state would be one in which the
    all-powerful executive of political bosses and their army of managers
    control a population of slaves who do not have to be coerced, because
    they love their servitude" -Aldous Huxley

Defender!

confused by this new board

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine96821
    For what it is worth....

I don't let my young son dive because through the course of his ear history, he lost some hearing. I am too worried that he could lose more by diving. Maybe I am being hypervigilant but I don't want to risk it. If he opts for it when he is older, that will be okay. I am not convinced he would be prudent if he had ear pain down there...he is a bit "insensate" from what I observe at the skateboard park.

He cries and begs me all the time....I just do not think it is a wise idea for a twelve year old boy who does not seem tuned into subtle pain.

LOL. And my kid is just the opposite. The tiny little scratch was cause for hystrionics. Now that he's 16, he sucks it up a bit more.
    Donald Trump being sworn in as President would be a great last scene in a Planet of the Apes remake. -- Andy Borowitz