Inguinal Hernia & Diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well...the big tanks got me..... My dr. detected a small hernia and as for the doctor goes, he could not give me any insite about diving with a unrepaired hernia.

Does anybody know whether assending from depth or diving in general be dangerous to your life. Anybody have any related experiences about a hernia while diving i would be curious to hear about. I have heard reports about possible ruptures....

I would like to get a dive in before i go for surgery, but i don't want to risk my life over it...

Safe diving to ya:;-0

Hi Garfish,

The dive medicine experts of whom I am aware think that diving with an unrepaired inguinal hernia is not a prudent action.

The primary concern is that a section of small intestine will protrude through the inguinal canal & become trapped. Schlepping heavy suitcases, lifting tanks & other scuba gear, or even hauling yourself back onto the boat could cause a protrusion to occur. Then, upon ascent from a dive, gas commonly in that area of bowel could expand to the extent that the intestinal segment is no longer able to retract into the abdomen. With continued entrapment, very serious problems can arise that require surgery to correct.

Undergoing repair and complete healing of the hernia before returning to scuba is the best way of avoiding a potential medical crisis.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Hi Doc Vikingo:

Thanks for the insite of what could possibly happen.
I decided to cancel my dive trip & to get the dog gone thing repaired before i go back into the water.

Again, i know were you are coming from and appreciate the advice.

Safe diving to ya:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom