Scopolamine Side Effects

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are the side effects of Scopolamine that I should be worried about? I am thinking of asking my doctor for a prescription for it or Scopace and would like to know what I need to worry about at depth when taking something like it.

--L

More importantly - if you do get prescribed it, give it a dry-trial first. There are always the common (listed) side effects and less common side effects, and then the teeny-tiny possibility of real weird 'this should not have happened at all' reaction. You wish to know as much as you just can before hitting the water.

dry mouth and drowsiness are 2 prominent side effects to be concerned about at depth....the drowsiness does not affect me personally, but the dry mouth definitely does.....it is a miracle drug as far as I'm concerned, the only thing that allows me to enjoy my favorite hobbies of fishing and diving...but as stated above, definitely give it a "dry run" on land to see just how it will affect you personally...on a side note, I've recently discovered Triptone, which is OTC and significantly cheaper than Scopalamine.....Ive used it my last 10 times on a boat and not felt one ounce of queasiness yet and 2 of those days were in very rough conditions, just FYI

Matteo:
I've recently discovered Triptone, which is OTC

Triptone is a brand of dimenhydrinate. The best-known brand is Dramamine which, in my area at least, is much easier to find. Generic dimenhydrinate sitting right next to the Dramamine is quite a bit cheaper, too. All of them come in one size, 50mg.

I tend to use dimenhydrinate on boats, too.

lord1234:
What are the side effects of Scopolamine that I should be worried about? I am thinking of asking my doctor for a prescription for it or Scopace and would like to know what I need to worry about at depth when taking something like it.

--L
i have been useing scopolamine for a long time and i have never had any side effects at all except, the last time in the channel islands i step into the rest room and i noticed in mirror my left eye was very badly dilated, as an EMT , i thought nope no head injuries,lol, so i contacted the 24 hour hot line that is on the prescibed box, and as i was starting to talk to the doctor, the captain (braiden) walked by and he and the doctor almost at the same time said,jim you rubbed your eye after you applied the patch with out first washing your hands and this was the cause of the dilation, and it was gone about 6-8 hours latter, no pain and no discomfort, this is the best stuff for me anytime i get on a boat!!!

I am so mad Scop did not work for me because it did not cause any drowsiness or dry mouth which I really don't wish for a dive stint. I get drowsy from about everything else used for motion sickness. Unfortunately, after first few good hours on the patch, I got an impressive systemic rash. Hope you will have better luck.

For me, scopolamine is the only motion sickness medicine that reliably works. I _always_ use it while diving. Well, I always do _now_. I didn't use it once in the Caymans...then I needed my regulator serviced. Now, I use it always.

Matteo is right -- drowsiness and dry mouth. For me, that's not much of a problem but YMMV.

Hey Leo,

I get wicked sea sickness as well as car sick. A mate on a boat gave me a great trick and it worked. Take a Bonine the night before your boat trip and then take another one the morning of. Bonine is the "less" drossy formula of Dramamine. I did this and had NO problems at all. I would try this before a script.

Just my two cents............good luck!

Sheri

Sherbear:
Bonine is the "less" drossy(sic) formula of Dramamine.Sheri

Bonine and Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula are marketed as separate and distinct products, although both contain the same the active ingredient (25 mg of meclizine HCL) and have the same directions for use.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom