Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cutting the Scopolamine Patch in 1/2

Scuba Instructor

wishing I was back in Palau...

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos

Cutting the Scopolamine Patch in 1/2

I'm pretty prone to seasickness so I use the patch on my boat dives.. Question~ is the patch as effective if it's cut in half for a single days use? It seems wasteful to use a 3 day patch for just 1 day of diving, so by cutting it in half I should be able to get another day of diving at a later date.... right? HOWEVER--- the website (http://www.transdermscop.com/information.htm ) says not to cut the patch in half, but it doesn't say why...
    So, it either (a) screws up the release of medication into your system when you cut it, or (b) the manufacturer says you have to use a whole patch each time so they'll make more $ because you have to refill your prescriptions more often.

Anyone know?

(getting a hold of my doc isn't an easy task, especially for a trivial question... otherwise I would've asked already)
    Missy

Has not set a "status"

Hi MissyP,

Cutting the patch could adversely affect the drug delivery system and adhesiveness of the patch.

Regards,

DocVikingo

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Not without seeing how the patch is made, cutting it in half might accelerate the dehydration of the medicine soaked center. The technology might be more complicated that simply adhesive laden with medicine.

It is kinda like trying to split a slow release capsule .... All of a sudden, it is a rapid release capsule. If you ever pooped one of these capsules out, it is just a shell with a tiny hole on it.....

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by fisherdvm
    Not without seeing how the patch is made, cutting it in half might accelerate the dehydration of the medicine soaked center. The technology might be more complicated that simply adhesive laden with medicine.

It is kinda like trying to split a slow release capsule .... All of a sudden, it is a rapid release capsule.
    Hi fisherdvm,

In other words, it "could adversely affect the drug delivery system?"

Regards,

DocVikingo

私は寿司およびアジア女性を食べることを愛する

taking my time

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    I used to cut the nicoderm patches in half while quitting smoking, and at 24 hours I could feel the need for nicotine again, then they started stating to throw the patch away if it was cut. They found out people were using the full dose patch in smaller doses (size) saving money. I believe the medication is in the adhesive and the outer is just a cover.

Has not set a "status"

Hi dlndavid,

Cutting Nicoderm patches can release the contained nicotine oil in larger than intended amounts, possibly leading to overdose.

Depending upon the amount absorbed and individual sensitivity, nicotine can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache, dizziness, disturbed hearing and vision, confusion, irregular heartbeat, chest pain, seizures and death.

Even in milder form, overdose could predispose to diver panic.

It's not worth the savings.

Regards,

DocVikingo

ScubaBoard Supporter

Go Red - Support SB!

Trying to stay out of trouble

One kilometer high on the Texas High Plains
    Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I keep thinking that members will learn that when DocV posts and answer, they need to read - not type.
    fab50diver likes this.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I'm not sure what effect this would have on the delivery system, but how about taking the patch off when you're done with it, placing it back on the plastic backing and in it's packaging? Maybe even put it in a ziplock. I'm not sure if once the system is activated by placing it on your skin whether it will just keep releasing for 72 hours, but this would definitely be better than cutting the patch. Check with your pharmacist to see how that would work before trying it. This is not something I've tried. It's just a thought. Post what you find out. I'm interested in knowing the effect.
    Rob Neto
    My website - Chipola Divers - Sidemount, Technical, Rebreather, & Cave Diving Instruction & Mentoring
    Visit Chipola Divers, LLC
    online store for great deals today!
    We sell KISS Rebreathers, SEAC gear, TillyTec Lights, Ralph Hood reels, EezyCut, a CO analyzer for less than $160, and more!

Has not set a "status"

RE: Re-using nicotine replacement patches.+

I can save one the time of asking their pharmacist. No competent, reputable pharmacist would endorse such an action.

Moreover, what kind of savings are we really looking at from all this risky business?

Online brand name patches can be purchased for a little over $3 each in packs of 14; generic patches cost a little over $2 each in packs of 7.

Considering what post #6 has to say about nicotine overdose, is it worth it?

Regards,

DocVikingo

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    As DocV said - don't cut them.

Patches are one of the most technically advanced dosage delivery systems the drug industry puts out. Two general types are available, reservoir patches where a dose of the drug in contained in a pocket and release is controlled by the polymer film next to the skin, and matrix patches where the drug is contained in a polymer matrix that will release it over time. Given that the SCOP patch has been around for many years I would think that it is a reservoir design. Cutting it will cause dose dumping of the active - not a good thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast