Oxygen Toxicity Treatment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Irish-Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I'm preparing a lecture on the above topic for my instructors course. However it's proving a tough subject to get any sort of detail on. I've only got about 15 minutes of stuff to talk about and need about another 10. Any help or advice would be greatly appriceated.

Cheers,

Thomas.

Irish-Diver:
Hi all,

I'm preparing a lecture on the above topic for my instructors course. However it's proving a tough subject to get any sort of detail on. I've only got about 15 minutes of stuff to talk about and need about another 10. Any help or advice would be greatly appriceated.

Cheers,

Thomas.
Well, for divers it's a very short subject, because there isn't any "treatment". If you can keep the victim from drowning during a convulsion, and keep the ABC's going long enough, the condition is self healing on the surface.
Now if you want to bring pulmonary toxicity into the mix, then you can talk about symptomatic treatment for specific organs, I suppose, but basically it still boils down to getting the patient off damaging levels of oxygen and letting 'em recover, if whatever had 'em on oxygen in the first place doesn't kill 'em first.
*** I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, so the preceding ain't medical advice :) ***
Rick

Did ya stay at Holiday Inn Rick?:D

From a quick and cursory search, it does not appear that there is any effective or widely accepted treatment for pulmonary oxygen toxicity. A number of things are under study in animal models. If you want an idea of what to search on, this brief piece should give you a bunch of keywords.

The only Tx I know of is to asscend. It will be hard to talk that into 15 minutes. Maybe you could explain the diff between resp and CNS toxicity?

If you can't fill up the 25 minutes with real info on oxygen toxicity treatment, then you could always fill it with a good oxygen toxicity related story. :)

Confessions of a Mortal Diver II is a rather scary story about DCS and the pulmonary edema that resulted from the surface O2 treatment after a series of dives on a rebreather.

As far as treatment of CNS oxygen toxicity, the best report I've seen of a real life oxtox incident says that the diver had further seizures during the ascent, even after being put onto a lower FO2 gas and ascending. Oxtox Incident in GUE Tech 1 Class.

Thanks everyone for all your help, I think I'll have to stretch out what I have to make it last the time. It's needless to say I didn't chose the topic. I suppose the one good point is that they won't be able to ask too many questions.

Cheers,

Thomas.

Back
Top Bottom