Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Oxygen Toxicity Treatment

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999

Oxygen Toxicity Treatment

Hi all,

I'm preparing a lecture on the above topic for my instructors course. However it's proving a tough subject to get any sort of detail on. I've only got about 15 minutes of stuff to talk about and need about another 10. Any help or advice would be greatly appriceated.

Cheers,

Thomas.

Uncle Ricky

- Trusty Shellback

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish-Diver
    Hi all,

I'm preparing a lecture on the above topic for my instructors course. However it's proving a tough subject to get any sort of detail on. I've only got about 15 minutes of stuff to talk about and need about another 10. Any help or advice would be greatly appriceated.

Cheers,

Thomas.
    Well, for divers it's a very short subject, because there isn't any "treatment". If you can keep the victim from drowning during a convulsion, and keep the ABC's going long enough, the condition is self healing on the surface.
    Now if you want to bring pulmonary toxicity into the mix, then you can talk about symptomatic treatment for specific organs, I suppose, but basically it still boils down to getting the patient off damaging levels of oxygen and letting 'em recover, if whatever had 'em on oxygen in the first place doesn't kill 'em first.
    *** I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, so the preceding ain't medical advice ***
    Rick
    "You can have peace, or you can have Freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." (Heinlein)
    "... they saw the deeds of the LORD, his wondrous works in the deep." (Ps107:24)

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    Did ya stay at Holiday Inn Rick?
    If you don't Dive...You haven't lived

Assimilated Medical Mod

Counting days to CAVEZZZZ!

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    From a quick and cursory search, it does not appear that there is any effective or widely accepted treatment for pulmonary oxygen toxicity. A number of things are under study in animal models. If you want an idea of what to search on, this brief piece should give you a bunch of keywords.
    "If something goes tits up, don't count on rising to the occasion. You will fall to what you have truly mastered." (PfcAJ)
    My dive journal can be read here, and a current dive blog HERE
    Okay, you've heard all our opinions. Want to know what the science is? http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/
    www.divematrix.com

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos
    The only Tx I know of is to asscend. It will be hard to talk that into 15 minutes. Maybe you could explain the diff between resp and CNS toxicity?
    I don't know where I'm going but I"m having a great time getting there

Diving, diving, diving in Maui

Silicon Valley, CA / New Bedford, MA / Kihei, Maui
    Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    If you can't fill up the 25 minutes with real info on oxygen toxicity treatment, then you could always fill it with a good oxygen toxicity related story.

Confessions of a Mortal Diver II is a rather scary story about DCS and the pulmonary edema that resulted from the surface O2 treatment after a series of dives on a rebreather.

As far as treatment of CNS oxygen toxicity, the best report I've seen of a real life oxtox incident says that the diver had further seizures during the ascent, even after being put onto a lower FO2 gas and ascending. Oxtox Incident in GUE Tech 1 Class.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Thanks everyone for all your help, I think I'll have to stretch out what I have to make it last the time. It's needless to say I didn't chose the topic. I suppose the one good point is that they won't be able to ask too many questions.

Cheers,

Thomas.