Ruptured (perforated?) eardrum question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bryanmc57

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife was doing her open water dives this weekend. First dive went without a hitch. On the second dive she had trouble equalizing at about 25 ffw and pushed too hard. Back on the surface you could hear air coming out of her ear when she did the valasalva (sp). Off to the doctor who diagnosed a slight ear infection and a perforated eardrum. He also noted that it appeared to have been perforated previously and healed (she had an incident on an airplane years ago which she believes is when it happened before). The question is, have any of you ever had this happen, how long did it take to heal and how did it affect your diving?

bryanmc57,

I've had it happen to me several time in the past 25 years. Each time I ended up with something the doctors referred to as a "micro perforation" and it had closed itself by the time I got to a doctor the next day. They put me on antibiotics for 4-7 days in case of infection and told me to stay our of the water for 2 weeks.

The worst part about it when it happens is the vertigo that results from the cold water entering the ear. The first time it happened I was holding onto the anchor line at ~100' in Apra Harbor, Guam doing a dive on the Tokai Maru/Cormorant and it felt like the whole world was spinning. In all actuality it only lasted for a few seconds until the water warmed up to body temperature. The next time it happened years later it wasn't near as scary because I realized what it was.

The air hissing out of the ear is definitely a strange sensation. Ever since then I've used Sudafed (the real stuff that they've recently moved behind the counter at the pharmacies but still doesn't require a perscription, at least in the USA) or the nasal spray Afrin if it feels like I might have some suggestion. I'm not a doctor so by no means take this as a recommendation to dive while taking Sudafed. There has been a ton of discussion on the subject of diving while taking Sudafed and if you do a search on it you will find enough info to keep you busy reading for a long time.

Rickg

Wow that is so much going to depend on your wife. Have her make regular contact with her ENT.....

She will be setting up an appt. with her ent tomorrow (Mon.) when they open. The ER doctor suggested seeing the ent in 2 weeks so he could evaluate the healing.

Rick... did you notice any problems later ie. harder to eq or more susceptible to perforation?

She will be setting up an appt. with her ent tomorrow (Mon.) when they open. The ER doctor suggested seeing the ent in 2 weeks so he could evaluate the healing.

Rick... did you notice any problems later ie. harder to eq or more susceptible to perforation?

Try and get her to an ENT with some SCUBA experience. It makes the world of difference especially with the diagnosis about when she will be able to return to diving.

As it happens both the clinic doctor she saw and the ent she will be seeing are divers. Since she won't get in to see the ent for 2 weeks we're just trying to do some research...

bryanmc57,

It has happened 3 times over a 25 year period. I didn't notice any problems when I got back in the water after any of them. Nor does it seem like I am any more susceptible to it happening now than before it happened it happened the first time although I must say that I was somewhat concerned the first time I went diving after it occurred.

On all three occasions the doctors had to look very hard to even see where the perforation occurred by the time I got to see them. The military doctor that I saw while on Guam didn't get very excited about it. He said he had seen quite a few incidences of this what with all of the military folks that take up diving while stationed on Guam and that the perforation will usually seal itself without any problems. He was more concerned about preventing an ear infection from the ocean water that may have gotten into the ear.

Now days I just make sure that I first clear on the surface and then every few feet until I get past 30 or so feet and keep my fingers crossed :)

Rickg

P.S. On each occasion I went ahead and finished my dive because I figured things couldn't get any worse than they already were.

She actually finished her dive... 45 minutes later the pain was to the point I was afraid for my life if I didn't get her to the pharmacy for her vicadin scrip.... Now she's able to manage the pain with advil and we're looking forward to getting her cert finished up whenever....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom