Ear Questions Please Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolute

Reaction score
I have always been interested in diving so I am finally going to do, but I am doubting it. I am signed up for classes next month and was hoping to to my open water dives in Mexico. To make a long story short I decided to go to a pool and work on equalization of my ears, I think I went to the 12 ft depth to quick feeling pain then plugged my nose and blew to hard. Feeling the pain I surfaced and could hear the pressure in my ears. Upon going to my docter he stated there was no damage but that I had scar tissue probably from ear infections when I was a kid. Is it harder to equalizing your ears while you are desending without scuba equipment? And since I have never really equalized my ears before what should it feel like practicing at home. Thank You for your patience in reading this.

To me it's always felt harder to equalize when skin diving vs. diving on SCUBA.

I'm lucky that I have never had any problems equalising but do a search on the board and you will find lots of tips.

The one thing that got me about your post though was:

I think I went to the 12 ft depth to quick feeling pain then plugged my nose and blew to hard
:nono:

eqalise frequently and often - never blow hard. If it hurts (when you are diving) ascend a little until it doesn't and try again...

Welcome by the way!

Jonathan

Instead of waiting until you feel pain equalize slightly before begining your descent. Then equalize every couple of feet.
Your instructor will give you several ways to equalize in class

At home pinch your nose and blow gentley and continous just until you hear a very slight click and stop. Then yawn you should be able to notice the difference right away.

The real trick to it is start at the surface and continue every few feet that way you don't ever feel pain or pressure. You can do this while free diving just takes practice.

As you continue diving this gets easier. As to the scar tissue One of the doctors or those that have had the same experience can give more insight to what to expect.

Hallmac

I recieved a perscription for my ear pressure and went back to the pool. All your advice helped at 12 ft. 18 out of 20 times no pressure pain. I actually plug my nose and blow gently then swallow immediately. I think it might be easier with scuba gear since I am just diving with one breath of air. Thank You again Hallmac, Cave Diver, and Jonathan.

I could never clear my ears when snorkling & trying to dive down. My husband would dive down 15 ft. or so on snorkel but I couldn't ever hold my breath long enough to clear my ears. Even with scuba I am a slow equalizer but I have learned a few tricks. The most important one is to relax as tense muscles can constrict your eustacian tubes which help to equalize the pressure. If I'm having real trouble, I tilt my head back to straighten my eustacian tubes & sometimes rub the actual tubes by rubbing the side of my neck from behind the earlobe down a few inches & make a mental note to relax my jaw muscles. The more I dive the easier it has become to equalize. Good luck and happy diving!

Absolute,

What did you get as an RX for ear pressure? Just kind of wondering what was recommended for your symptoms.

Scubamax

SucbaMax I am actually perscribed the Allegra-D. I have not felt any side effects at all. Its helped out quite a lot.

Thank You for all your responces. I finally started my classes today and I had no problems at all with equalizing. Since I had a nonstop supply of air compared to skindiving I was able to equalize. My perscription probably helped as well. Since this is the first time that I have scuba dived (Actually breathed underwater) it is more exciting that I ever could of imagined. Thank you all for all your help and advice although I almost did not go you helped me try it. Thanks Again.

Absolute once bubbled...
Thank You for all your responces. I finally started my classes today and I had no problems at all with equalizing. Since I had a nonstop supply of air compared to skindiving I was able to equalize. My perscription probably helped as well. Since this is the first time that I have scuba dived (Actually breathed underwater) it is more exciting that I ever could of imagined. Thank you all for all your help and advice although I almost did not go you helped me try it. Thanks Again.

You sound so excited about your classes! I'm really glad we were able to help answer your questions so you could learn about the sport that we all love so much. Safe diving and Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom