Tip of nose is purple..?? what the..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boomer1

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
If this has been asked before please forgive..new to forum. I did see one about bruising, but I wouldn't call this a bruise. It's never happened before and I'm at a loss. I did a dive in fresh water spring to 50', 25 minutes, fairly uneventful and wonderful dive. An hour or so after the dive, went to lunch with dive buddies and they noticed the tip of my nose was a reddish/purple color. The water temp was 72 degrees so I don't think it was the water temp. I've done dozens of dives without any problem, so I don't know what to think. Anyone ever had this and what was it? Can I prevent it? It disappeared the next day.

Also, two days later, my left outer eye was bloodshot red as if I had pink eye. Could I have gotten a squeeze? I've always been so careful with clearing my mask. The eye cleared up two days later. :confused:http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/More Smiles/confused.gif
:confused:

What method do you use for equalization, valsalva? If so then a prolonged valsalva maneuver would increase venous pressure in the head. If you take aspirin or another coagulation modifier (even fish oil) then it might have been bruising. I'm glad you are better now.

BTW, the pattern of the nose reminds me of the early stages of rhinophyma, or nasal rosacea. There is some theory that nasal rosacea results from venous congestion of the nose.

As to prevention if you are using the valsalva method is to try the Frenzel method instead, it's the safest and well worth learning!

<snip> the tip of my nose was a reddish/purple color. <snip> Anyone ever had this and what was it? Can I prevent it? It disappeared the next day.

<snip>
Interesting... I had something similar happen to me during my recent trip to PI. Not only was the tip of my nose red, the right side was, too. (I determined it was due to the Valsalva method since when I pinch my nose, my thumb is alongside the right.) Glad yours faded fast... mine lasted even once I switched to a different equalization method.

What method do you use for equalization, valsalva? If so then a prolonged valsalva maneuver would increase venous pressure in the head. If you take aspirin or another coagulation modifier (even fish oil) then it might have been bruising. I'm glad you are better now.

BTW, the pattern of the nose reminds me of the early stages of rhinophyma, or nasal rosacea. There is some theory that nasal rosacea results from venous congestion of the nose.

<snip>
Interesting info as well. Thx for posting!

Thanks for all the posts. I did wake up with a headache that morning before the dive and took asprin, so it's very possible the combination of asprin and pinching my nose to clear did cause it. I'm going to be try and be more aware of what I'm doing on my decent on my dives this weekend and try some different equalization methods.

Annasea, enjoy your upcoming visit to Florida. It's a diver's paradise.

Update on the nose issue. I switched equalization methods on my dive yesterday and didn't have the discoloration post-dive. Thanks for the suggestion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom