Lead poisoning through skin contact...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I understand that this topic has been raised before. However, I also understand that there has been research undertaken concerning the link between dermal (skin) contact and lead poisoning. There is some evidence which suggests that a certain amount of lead is excreted, but the general rule is that it builds up within the body's tissues and causes numerous problems.

My question is - what precautions, apart from washing your hands, can be taken when handling lead dive weights? Is it possible to minimise the risk by painting the weights, thus decreasing the amount of skin to lead contact?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I thought of that, but wondered whether lead can leach through certain material (ie: my dive gloves). Know anything bout that? Btw, just been diving down in Tassie to do my Advanced and thought it was great! Kelp forests were just brilliant.

I understand that this topic has been raised before. However, I also understand that there has been research undertaken concerning the link between dermal (skin) contact and lead poisoning. There is some evidence which suggests that a certain amount of lead is excreted, but the general rule is that it builds up within the body's tissues and causes numerous problems.

My question is - what precautions, apart from washing your hands, can be taken when handling lead dive weights? Is it possible to minimise the risk by painting the weights, thus decreasing the amount of skin to lead contact?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I can't see that dive weights would be much of a lead problem. I like rubber coated weights because they look better. Paint would do the same, although, to paint lead, you first have to clean it with vinegar (otherwise the paint will just come off the tarnish) Soft weights however, coudl be a real significant source of lead.

Aussie chick, I wouldn't worry too much. The risk of toxicity through skin contact with metalic lead is very minimal, if at all. The main avenues for lead to enter the body are through ingestion, as in babies eating lead paint, or inhalation, usually an industrial concern with lead dust from manufacting processes or fuming of molten lead in foundries & when leading pipe joints.

As a diver or dive shop owner, be more concerned about rough handling of the weights when you stack them, where it might be possible to chaff of some of the lead oxide surface creating lead dust. This can be managed by vacuuming or damp mopping the lead storage area from time to time.

From a general perspective, lead dust is everywhere & we all get some environmental exposure everyday, The incremental exposure to lead from handling weights isn't significant enough to be of concern.
BTW- this assumes that you aren't molding your own weights.

Interesting post, as I just received 50lbs of lead weights made to order from a guy on ebay. He seemed to do a fine job. But I am concerned with lead exposure as well, so I plan to paint them first with a metal paint (like grill paint) as a primer, then coat them with "tool dip" for a rubbery surface. What do you think?
I will take the vinegar wash advice...

All the best,
Geoff

Anyone wanting to know more about the risks of lead exposure can go to the following site for a Material safety Data Sheet on lead. LEAD METAL

Note - this is intended for workers handling lead on an everyday basis, especially in the forms of pellets, powders & exposure to fumes or dust. For metalic lead, as in dive weights the risk of meaningful transfer to the hands is negligable, especially since with dive weights any loose dust or oxides are washed off on each dive. If you're still concerned, wash your hands before eating finger food such as pizza. BTW- the one thing you don't want to do with lead blocks it to grind them, such as to put your initials into them, thereby creating lead dust.

If you use common sense, the greatest hazard of lead diving weights is in handling them while wearing flipflops.

Lead is mostly poisonous in ionized (soluble) form after it reacts with other salts and/or acids (same as for mercury). To prevent it from happening keep your weight clean and dry between dives. Painting will help only if paint stays intact, when it falls off it probably generates more bad stuff. Rinsing lead with vinegar will produce (temporary) toxic acetates as well. Most weights are made from lead alloys with are stronger then pure lead and are pretty resistant to corrosion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom