Cancel dive trip due to torn ACL???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasdivechick

Contributor
Reaction score
Texas, but about to move to waterless Shreveport f
# of dives
100 - 199
I made a really stupid decision to jump on a friend's trampoline last weekend at her Memorial Day party (yes, alcohol was involved!) and ended up tearing my ACL in my right knee. :dork2:This is all 24 days before my planned- nonrefundable!- dive trip to the Dry Tortugas on a liveaboard. I don't have too much pain and I've been resting my knee/leg frequently and using crutches and a leg brace since the accident. I have yet to bear weight on the knee but I am able to bend it 90 degrees without pain.
I'm wondering how this type of injury will affect my dive trip. While I certainly don't want to impede the healing process, I really, really don't want to miss out on the dive trip. I also don't want to jeopardize my safety or the safety of my dive buddy- I should note that he is an excellent buddy: a fully certified cave diver, solo diver, and has close to 700 dives under his weight belt. Can anyone give me good information about whether or not I should go on the trip as planned (maybe not doing all 20 dives, but at least 1 or 2 a day) or just cancel my plans?

I dunno, not qualified to comment, but got a question: Since you mentioned "...planned- nonrefundable!- dive trip to the Dry Tortugas..." - does that mean that you didn't bother with Trip Insurance?

Because ACL injuries can vary from tearing a few fibers to completely diving the ligament, the best person to answer this question for you is the orthopedist who is following your injury. But I think even if you are cleared to go, it might be reasonable to modify some of your procedures. What comes immediately to mind is the stress on the knee involved with trying to maneuver oneself on deck while wearing scuba gear, as the boat is pitching. I think at the very least, you might want to gear up in the water.

But again, consult with your orthopedist, and make sure you describe the various activities involved in diving to him, including the type of kick you use.

Had a torn ACL 6 1/2 years ago. Prior to the surgery I tried doing some light shore dives. Basically had to call it quits wasn't enough strength to do proper finning and really turned out to be more pain. After surgery and the brace came off it was the best therapy I did.

With gear on like TS & M said biggest issue might cause dislocation or further tearing of ACL or damage the MCL. Push the therapy it's worth it and shortens the recovery time.

Best wishes

TG

Depending on whether you have trip ins or not...
> If you do get the claim going to dive another day;
> If not, start making phone calls. Continental can be very cooperative in such cases and the tour operator may be...?

Thanks for the responses. I have been very honest with my dive buddy about my possible limitations that I might encounter- things like ditching my usual knees- bent, frog kicking style for a more straight leg scissor kick and gearing up in the water. I realize that getting back onto the boat will probably be my biggest hurdle and we are planning to have me remove all my gear in the water and having one of the deckhands hoist it up. He and I are trying to come up with a game plan that will cover most of the difficulties I may have, but we are also keeping in mind that I may have to back off the trip all-together. I haven't contacted the dive operator yet because I want to get my doctors okay before I plead my case to the captain to allow me to dive.
Does anyone know about the effects of nitrogen on ligaments, if any? What about other issues I haven't thought of yet?

I know you're planning a DIVE trip, but a trip on a liveaboard would still be enjoyable even if you can't dive... If you can't sell your spot or get a refund, I'd still go. Of course, I have no dive trips planned except a week with the in-laws (all of them, Mom, Dad, Sister and her husband and kids...) to a beach house in Florida. So my expectations are lower!

Assuming your physician says its OK, get the crew to help you gear up so that all you have to do is fall off the boat into the water. Its possible to swim with one fin, or one and a half.

Assuming your physician says its OK, get the crew to help you gear up so that all you have to do is fall off the boat into the water. Its possible to swim with one fin, or one and a half.
I'm sorry, but I like to think that divers will be able bodied when caca hits the fan and emergencies arise. But then I've seen divers leave in ambulances six times, the last two separate cases air evacuated to Miami. He's not going to Hunstville's Blue Lagoon; he's a developing diver with less than 100 logged headed to a remote island on the Florida Straights current. Nope, not unless he plans to hire a private DM as a buddy for every dive, as he is handicapped from the way he's posting his approach now.

I'll be upfront with you if you get into any type of current or drift diving your knee won't and can't handle it. You'll definitely have increased swelling and pain regardless of the type of finning you do. Also depending on the MRI and type of tear there is definite seepage of fluids into the area absolutely ripe for a embolism. As I previously stated even from shore and using a dock to hold my equipment it wasn't fun coming back to shore

Tim

Back
Top Bottom